Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default help asap!! assistant.sick

Ok....assistant has called in sick. Shes reliable and its sick sick so.blergh.good girl callin.in

Problem. In the process.of sorting second assistant to.work part time so.they.cover each others sickness etc....obviously not got one yet!

I.have.5 in today....one being my own son.

What an.earth.do i do?

*cancel 2 children if so....who
    *or can i ask a childminder friend.if she wouldnt.mind.coming.over if.she has spaces so kiddies are in.familiar.environment and.she has.those 2 kiddies.fees which helps? Or.is.it a nono as she isnt.registered.for.my.home

Argh.never.thought.i.would be.in.this situation....im in a right flap

Any.help be fab.sorry.bout the full stops on my new phone and my sausage fingers dont like the screen

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in a situation like this and I did cancel 3. I just looked at the hours of them and what I could realistically do on my own. I considered preschool drop offs and collections too. I have now safeguarded myself against this happening again by not replacing some when theyve started preschool. I couldn't bare making those decisions so I am back to working on my own.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

as long as you don't go over 6 in an emergency you can go over your numbers and grant yourself a variation......have you got a minder friend who can come over?

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok breathhhheeeeeeee

So would a situation like this be classed emergency? Should i call ofsted? Have one kiddley in at moment so i can do a risk assessment while.they munch brekky ermmm

I have an under 1 in at 9 will this cause anymore problems?! Yes i do have a minder friend but wether she could make it round here i dont.know......

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would grant yourself an emergency variation providing you ask the parents in advance and you are sure you can manage. Do you have to do a school run though, that would be my only concern a) that your could manage to get everyone to school safely and b) that someone wouldn't see you with 5 children and report you.

I have 7 different children over the week all aged between 11 months and 4 - mostly 3 each day, 4 on a Monday with a variation but obviously I wouldn't have any need to try it but I honestly think that I could have all 7 here at once and would survive. They have all been with me since babies and know my routines.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is no ringing ofsted anymore you have to refer to the guidelines.

Im not sure whether or not this is covered as you took this children on because you had an assistant surely you need an assistant to keep them today. What plan did you put into place if your assistant was unable to work. Did you warn the parents you might not be able to offer care that day?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No reason to call Ofsted - they can't help - they will expect you to have contingency in place for emergencies...

You can keep 4 for continuity of care in exceptional circumstances without that many problems... just do the risk assessment and make sure parents understand what you are doing and why -

Changes to Conditions of Registration

5 is theoretically possible but Ofsted inspectors are generally very unhappy about it because they say that children are not getting a high enough level of teaching and care when there are 5 - so please be very, very careful about that one.

Hth x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    No reason to call Ofsted - they can't help - they will expect you to have contingency in place for emergencies...

You can keep 4 for continuity of care in exceptional circumstances without that many problems... just do the risk assessment and make sure parents understand what you are doing and why -

Changes to Conditions of Registration

5 is theoretically possible but Ofsted inspectors are generally very unhappy about it because they say that children are not getting a high enough level of teaching and care when there are 5 - so please be very, very careful about that one.

Hth x
    I would follow Sarah's advice then but try ringing the parents and explaining the situation maybe one of them can offer to swap days or has an emergency back up plan of their own. Minding 4 would be easier than 5 and not get you into any arguments with Ofsted.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

In future I would recommend allocating key children to your assistant. Then those would be the ones that would have to stay off if sick and parents would be made aware of this when signing contracts

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

All parents were made aware when signing up.or reviewing contracts.

I decided to cancel.the 2 shorter contracts one being a parent.who.doesnt go.to.work but uses my.service so child mixes with.others. Both families were ok.and.happy and understood.

thanks for advice guys and.hopefully this thread can.help someone in.future or.someone.weighing up.pros and cons of having an.assistant.

Im so prone to having a flap lol

11. Likes hectors house liked this post