Do those with assistants have a keyworker system?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do those with assistants have a keyworker system?

As the above states what do others do? I have worked with my oh for over a year now. He literally assists me with the children. We have 6/7 little ones every day ( 2 variations). He used to be a bricklayer lol so I do all the paperwork. He has 1st aid and child protection but we dont have keyworker children and I do all obs etc. Some other minders are saying this is wrong but in my view I am the cm so I am responsible for paperwork and am qualified and experienced enough to do so. Will this be a problem with ofsted?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I work in a very similar way to you and do not assign myself or my husband to particular children , so no we don't have key children. When I worked in a nursery I was a key worker for 13 children, when working with my hubby and we have six between us I don't see the point . I do all the paper work , however he does tell me if he observes children reach a mile stone ect. We usually work with one of us in the garden and other indoors so the children can have continuos outdoor play, so he observes them all do some amazing physical activities outside.
    we both have good relationships with all the children, and they will come to us both, it's like a little family really. The parents will approach and talk to us both too. Hth x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is a requirement of the EYFS that every child has a key worker and parents know who the key worker is and their job role.

I know it sounds daft when there's only 2 of you but to comply with the requirements you need to state somewhere (I have it on the top of their attendance register) that you are key worker to each child.

Hth

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought childminders were exempt to that Sarah? Thought I had read in eyfs that the childminder is the childs keyworker. Is there a bit that specifies it when working with assistants?

5. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I too work with my oh and if I assigned him as a key worker to do obs, progress reports, etc... etcc.. he'd definately be telling me to jog on...... And I would probably agree with him, I think - stick to doing what you do best.

When I was inspected, I was the one inspected, my other half scarpered for the day, (which was probably for the best don't want him dropping me in it he keeps it a bit too real sometimes and wouldn't hesitate in telling it as it is if you know what I mean).

When parents come to me, I am the childminder and oh is introduced as my helper all the parents know the buck stops with me, I have to keep reminding oh that I am the boss sometimes and he takes it on board and shows me he can count to two.

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always been told as I work with a co-minder and an assistant we have to have a key worker system in place... our key worker groups are listed on my notice board so that parents know who their child's is.

But I always seem to be the one with the camera at hand and take photo's then write a little note to say what's happening/what led up to whatever and then the key worker writes it up.

I used to think it silly when you had to have it writen and you were a lone cm.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigwig View Post
    I thought childminders were exempt to that Sarah? Thought I had read in eyfs that the childminder is the childs keyworker. Is there a bit that specifies it when working with assistants?

Yes the childminder is the keyworker - but when one or more childminders or assistants and childminders work together some Ofsted inspectors look for clarification about who is key worker.

It is a requirement of the Eyfs that parents are informed about the key worker system so it's just a natural progression to say 'I am your child's key worker' and to tell them what you do

9. Likes Goatgirl liked this post