My own older children in my numbers before school - do they count
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My own older children in my numbers before school - do they count

Hi, I am an experienced childminder and work alongside my husband who is my assistant. In September my two children aged 11 and 14 will be leaving for school at 7.45am and I was wondering if I need to count them in my overall numbers for the time they are not in my immediate care.
    I have parents needing to drop their children with me for a morning drop off from 8-9 but I am unsure as to whether I can do this. I know I have to be within my numbers for insurance purposes etc. etc. but I find this element unclear. Help would be very much appreciated.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rahrah1 View Post
    Hi, I am an experienced childminder and work alongside my husband who is my assistant. In September my two children aged 11 and 14 will be leaving for school at 7.45am and I was wondering if I need to count them in my overall numbers for the time they are not in my immediate care.
    I have parents needing to drop their children with me for a morning drop off from 8-9 but I am unsure as to whether I can do this. I know I have to be within my numbers for insurance purposes etc. etc. but I find this element unclear. Help would be very much appreciated.
    Only children under 8 are included in your numbers. Your only concern is that the older children don't impact on the care of the younger ones.

3. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MTK007 View Post
    Only children under 8 are included in your numbers. Your only concern is that the older children don't impact on the care of the younger ones.
    same advice from me, except if you mean total numbers for insurance purposes? Are you restricted to a max number of children on your insurance? If so then yes your children would count in those numbers.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you in England? I think older children may count in numbers if you're not, but I can't remember if it's in Scotland, Wales, or Ireland!

jan 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, yes I am in England. I am registered to care for 12 children under 8 with my husband and I am insured for 12 children. I have 2 mornings when my children will have left for school and for an hour in the morning my husband and I could have 11 minded children but our two children would not be with us. It wouldn't be in holiday's and if mine were having an inset day then obviously I would keep within my insured number.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

what if one of your children was off school sick though?
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Best check with your insurance company, please post their reply. When I talked this through with mm some years ago my children counted I. My overall numbers even if on holiday, also check your house insurance mine limits me to 10 children under 17

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    what if one of your children was off school sick though?
    I guess you would have to phone one of the other children's parents and explain the situation.....sorry can't have LO today.

jan 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes if one of my children was ill I probably wouldn't work anyway.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Best check with your insurance company, please post their reply. When I talked this through with mm some years ago my children counted I. My overall numbers even if on holiday, also check your house insurance mine limits me to 10 children under 17
    and my house insurance restricts me to a total of 6 children

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At one time with NCMA, as it was, your PLI covered for something like 12 children working alone, or 18 when working with an assistant. Your own children didn't count in your numbers.

As far as I know, with Pacey, your own children still don't count.

You need to phone your insurance company tomorrow & check.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Your children definately DO NOT count in your insurance numbers so as long as you do not go over that you are fine.

I work with my DH and we are insured for 18 as there are two of us.
    Debbie

jan 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked at my insurance and it says 12 with an assistant or 18 with a co-childminder. Think I will have to phone pacey tomorrow.