Apprentice in need of help!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Apprentice in need of help!!

I'd desperately like some advice if anyone can help, I'm an apprentice for a childminder and I am regularly left alone for long periods of time with more children than is to ofsteds quotas. I do not have a health and safety certificate so legally this shouldn't be happening, my boss is more concerned with running personal errands, she often leaves her home in a mess from her dinner the night before for me to deal with and asks me to do tasks that are irrelevant to the job. I am fully capable of looking after all the children but I'm terrified of ofsted arriving and me losing my job and credibility for not doing anything but if I go to ofsted myself I will lose my job and will have spent 7 months trying to get my nvq for nothing. Id really appreciate any help that can be offered x

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

well personally honey, if this were me. I would leave immediately and report her to ofsted. if she challenges you I would say someone mentioned to you that they were going to report her for leaving you and that is why you left. Tell her your childcare career is worth more than blowing it. Alternatively ring ofsted and get them to visit whilst you are in charge - that way she might not twig it was you and they will see the evidence for themselves.

You are not looking after children, she is using you as her skivvy.

The other thing you could do, depending on how brave you are, is tackle her, but I know as someone's assistant I'd find that hard. Speak to your NVQ supervisor for advice on how to handle it or the local early years team as well so they can support you but please, please report this to ofsted.

let us know how you get on.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

3. Likes Rubybubbles, Waveawand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your advice, I am miserable she asks me to decorate her children's bedrooms, rake leaves, I have just been off work for two weeks ill and I'm still not right (I have a cyst) and she hasn't done any EYFS in my absence and basically treated me like I was being punished when I returned for being ill and asked me to to falsify the EYFS. I have put so much time and effort into this I have an 18 month old child and can't afford to be out of work I am feeling really desperate my nvq assessor is on holiday until next week as well x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you sat down and had an honest, open meeting with the childminder? I would suggest that as the first option. Document your questions and the childminder's responses and talk about a way forward.

HOWEVER, there are legal requirements which must be met regarding the safety and wellbeing of the children - if you feel that these are being broken then you need to contact Ofsted for further advice -

0300 123 1231.

When you registered as an assistant you should have signed a safeguarding and whistleblowing procedure which will state what to do if you are worried about any aspect of the children's care.

If this is in place you should follow the procedures.

I hope this helps. If you need any further advice please come back to us and ask x

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, that bad and irresponsible of her. I would report her straight away no hesitation. As its been stated you have a duty if care to these children.
    Hope you sort it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted never asked me to sign anything, I have rang me assessor from my apprentice company and they are trying to find me a new placement. They want to keep me there until they have me a new placement and then they are going to take necessary steps, I have had the week from hell being left with 7 under 5 for 6 hours on Friday I am trying desperately to look for a new placement myself x

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

So if you never signed anything to register as an assistant are you intact a student who has been placed with a childminder to give you the experience whilst undertaking your nvq?

Regardless of the worry about yourself and your placement your duty is for the children and this situation needs reporting, I know you don't want to be out of work but what sort of situation do you think you will find yourself in if god forbid something terrible should happen while you are in sole charge?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope they manage to find you a proper placement very soon. Where you actually work alongside a childminder rather than a dictator. Also with someone who actually does the job they are being paid for.

You sound like a very concientious worker who really has the passion for the work at hand. Please dont let this experience put you off.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Gail I love my job more than anything despite this woman and the kids are a joy to be with, the pet names are just wonderful and makes you feel like you have achieved so much when they learn something new and tell you they have missed you at the weekend.

Blue bear this is why I have asked for advice because I love the children there like my own and wouldn't want them to come to any harm because I am being spread too thinly but this woman will not listen I asked her to take some children with her on Friday but she refused as she was going to have her nails done and they would be in the way. I am at the end of my tether and my apprentice company have said if she gets shut down for her behaviour they have a month to find me a new placement or I would have to start a whole new year long placement and I will have spent 7 months on £2.65 an hour working 38 hour weeks minimum and not being allowed to do my nvq at work I have to do it at home is another 10 hours a week I can't do that to myself or my daughter again she's 18 months old and leaving her with her dad while I work kills me. I appreciate that sounds selfish but if I'm not there and I leave and report her I genuinely fear for the children's safety.

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing, are you keeping an up to date diary? My husband works with an apprentice so if you would like to feel free to pm me x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apprentice23 View Post
    Ofsted never asked me to sign anything, I have rang me assessor from my apprentice company and they are trying to find me a new placement. They want to keep me there until they have me a new placement and then they are going to take necessary steps, I have had the week from hell being left with 7 under 5 for 6 hours on Friday I am trying desperately to look for a new placement myself x
    i am very surprised your assessor has advised this hon. They should not be advising you to stay under these conditions, not to take this attitude towards their duty of care towards the children in your care - they should be advising you to take immediate action (or taking it themselves) to protect those children - 7 under 5's If this were me I'd call ofsted today, report the setting and ask them to come and visit and see for themselves with you there and ask them for the highest confidentiality not to let on that it was you that reported it.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

you do realise that your assessor has a duty to you also dont you?

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is just really shocking! I would be going back to the assessor and more firmly asking her for a new placement next week. She should be ashamed asking you to continue on like this.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't fully got my head round apprenticeships yet - are they funded by the government, have you got a phone number for a government office / job centre whoever organised your placement or is your first point of call the NVQ assessor? Also as you aren't a fully registered childminder I'm assuming you are technically the same as an assistant which means you are only allowed to be left with children for up to 2 hours unsupervised and that has to be within the EYFS ratios.

Can't your assessor find you a placement in a Nursery for a month while they find you another placement with a childminder? I really feel sorry for you - you are really being exploited, I have considered employing my own daughter as an apprentice but I couldn't bring myself to pay her such a measly hourly wage. I hope you find another placement soon, somewhere you will be appreciated and you can finish your qualification.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a meltdown today my assessor came to visit me to tell me my boss made a complaint about my absence (I had a miscarriage and I have a huge ovarian cyst 6cms) I had a huge breakdown to my assessor and the short and long of it is I have 1 month to find a new placement or I get kicked off the books meaning I have spent 7 months doing 38 hour weeks for 2.65 an hour (I have to pay £1.50 to take my daughter with me) so effectively £1.15 an hour for no reason. My assessor was outraged when I told her the full extent of what has been going on, I have kept it vague here as its a lot worse. I had a sick note for the time I was off but she still complained about me. My assessor has promised to try and find me a new placement in the next fortnight, I am praying for someone to take me on before I have a nervous breakdown!!! My friend rang ofsted today on my behalf because I am ashamed to say I was too much of a wimp to admit how badly I have let myself be treated, and how long I have let this go on. Fingers crossed I will have some luck and will let you all know how ofsted get along x

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm sure you will get a new placement soon
    Mandy xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are happy to give us an idea of which area you are in maybe there is a cm reading this thread that would take on an apprentice?

prereg
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds awful what you have been through. Hope you find a new placement very soon.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apprentice23 View Post
    I have had a meltdown today my assessor came to visit me to tell me my boss made a complaint about my absence (I had a miscarriage and I have a huge ovarian cyst 6cms) I had a huge breakdown to my assessor and the short and long of it is I have 1 month to find a new placement or I get kicked off the books meaning I have spent 7 months doing 38 hour weeks for 2.65 an hour (I have to pay £1.50 to take my daughter with me) so effectively £1.15 an hour for no reason. My assessor was outraged when I told her the full extent of what has been going on, I have kept it vague here as its a lot worse. I had a sick note for the time I was off but she still complained about me. My assessor has promised to try and find me a new placement in the next fortnight, I am praying for someone to take me on before I have a nervous breakdown!!! My friend rang ofsted today on my behalf because I am ashamed to say I was too much of a wimp to admit how badly I have let myself be treated, and how long I have let this go on. Fingers crossed I will have some luck and will let you all know how ofsted get along x
    oh honey. I'm glad your friend has made the complaint. I'm glad too that your assessor was shocked but are they still leaving you in the placement!!!?? I would speak to your assessor again if she hasn't pulled you out. There must be a procedure in place (in the training company) for situations like these. They have a duty to you if they found you the placement and to not kick you off the course and give you reasonable time to find something. If you have to you could volunteer at a children's centre or creche or volunteer in a school nursery just til you find another paid placement.

I'm not getting my head around the pay. Is the apprentice wage allowed to be below minimum wage levels? Please please speak to the assessor and tell her you need support from teh company. If she doesn't take it higher up the company then you must go to them yourself. Speak to a manager and tell her/him the whole story and tell them they have a duty to you to protect you.

please let us know how you get on. xx

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have nothing to add, except to say please keep in touch, I hope the assessor can find you another placement, in the meantime, take care of yourself and your daughter, whatever was going on will have taken it's toll on you, so allow some time to pass and heal you. Hugs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast