Can assistants take children out of the setting on their own
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can assistants take children out of the setting on their own

Hi, does anyone know if assistants are permitted to take children out of the setting on their own. I've seen two very young assistants regularly taking 6 under 5's to the park on their own and just wondered if this is allowed?

Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends what their condition of registration says on their certificates before you go jumping the gun

Post Thanks / Like

I was just curious - if it's allowed, I might get myself a couple of assistants, get them to take the children out and I might be able to keep up with the paperwork

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

my assistant and i used to do the school run - sharing the LOs between us and then pretty much doing our own thing once at school - collecting children, going to the park, dropping of at clubs etc and then met up again at home about 1 1/2hrs later!

5. Likes Wheelybug liked this post
    June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Assistants over 18 yrs old with a full 12 hrs course can be left alone with children on the early years register for up to 2 hours so I'm sure they can without any problem do so - Assistants cannot however be left alone with children on the childcare register - so perhaps the minder does the school run while the assistants take the little ones to the park or gets on with cooking etc - who knows but it is a requirement that all children get out for fresh air every day therefore that side of things is obviously being sorted too - I cant see much wrong so long as they are meeting all of the requirements as laid down. We should be very careful that we don't jump to any conclusions about other people - we wouldn't want anyone to do it to us.
    Celest

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't think anyone is jumping to conclusions, just asking the question?
    It's something I keep thinking about but still can't get my head round, lol! It doesn't seem to make sense to me that an assistant can be left with lo's but cannot go to collect schoolies on their own, but that's just me

8. Likes Wheelybug liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven Scent View Post
    Assistants over 18 yrs old with a full 12 hrs course can be left alone with children on the early years register for up to 2 hours so I'm sure they can without any problem do so - Assistants cannot however be left alone with children on the childcare register - so perhaps the minder does the school run while the assistants take the little ones to the park or gets on with cooking etc - who knows but it is a requirement that all children get out for fresh air every day therefore that side of things is obviously being sorted too - I cant see much wrong so long as they are meeting all of the requirements as laid down. We should be very careful that we don't jump to any conclusions about other people - we wouldn't want anyone to do it to us.
    That is First Aid!

There will be nothing at all about Assistants on the new Reg Certs. An Assistant can be left alone with under 8s with the written permission of the parents but for no more than 2 hours a day. It is all in the Revised EYFS Document.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateChip View Post
    Don't think anyone is jumping to conclusions, just asking the question?
    It's something I keep thinking about but still can't get my head round, lol! It doesn't seem to make sense to me that an assistant can be left with lo's but cannot go to collect schoolies on their own, but that's just me

i know minders who's husbands pick up schoolies (i know they are registered assistants)

wibble xxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

11. Likes Wheelybug liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

assistants CAN collect schoolies on their own! i know mine used to for me! but they do have to have peadiatric first aid & parental permission.

13. Likes Wheelybug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven Scent View Post
    Sorry if I gave the impression I was jumping to conclusions, I wasn't. I thought the forum was a place I could ask questions, maybe I was wrong. Personally I don't think it is wrong to ask questions if we are unsure of something, afterall safeguarding doesn't just apply to the children in our care. Thank you for those that replied, if its allowed, then that's fine, that was all I was asking. I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting back and not querying something I had seen that I wasn't sure about, whether it relates to childminders, parents or anyone else. I think previous cases of child abuse / neglect have highlighted how dangerous that can be.

apr1998
    Post Thanks / Like

Default can assistants take children out of the setting .

I employ registered assistants and i was told by my CSSIW that the only way they are allowed to take children out for example to school or play group is if i have written permission from my parents for them to do so , because as far as they are concerned once the children leave my premises it is not my problem if something goes wrong .
    It came about because i would take them to school and leave the other mindess with the assistants and i was told that i could not do this as they have no responsibilities .
    It could be different for me as i am in Wales .

16. Likes Wheelybug liked this post