How long does registering an assistant take? AND how will it work in September?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How long does registering an assistant take? AND how will it work in September?

Hi, I am in the process of registering my sister as my assistant, just to cover me for the fact I have 2 new children starting in September, plus my 1 year old son and my 4 year old daughter - who is going to school but not starting FULL TIME until 6 weeks into the term! Any idea how long it will take as starting to worry it won't be sorted in time! We've done the EY2 form and she's recently sent off the CRB.
    Also what happens in September as at the moment assistants are included in a variation statement aren't they? but in September what happens? Will she need to be on my certificate or so long as she has CRB is that ok? I'm so confused and don't want to get it worng! Also will I only need her assisting for the times when my daughter would be at school if FULL time - e.g. if she is in in the morning would I only need my sister from 12-3:15, or the whole day?

Rather a long query sorry!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am reading that as of Sept you don't need your sister as your 4 year old is at school (no longer has to be 10 full time sessions)
    Debbie

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Where are you getting that information from as I'm sure I read that they have to be in 10 sessions to count as being in full time - which she isn't until 6 weeks into the term. this is all so confusing!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    I am reading that as of Sept you don't need your sister as your 4 year old is at school (no longer has to be 10 full time sessions)
    Sorry I am not sure I fully understand what you are saying CC.

Ofsted has confirmed (and I have it in writing from the top) that -

'The new EYFS (2012) uses the phrase ‘normal school day’ which means the same thing because a school day is defined by the Department for Education (1981) as two sessions with a break in the middle of the day between those two sessions.'

So full time school is 10 sessions a week. Before that the child is still classed as under 5.

Hth

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

back to the drawing board for me sorry
    Debbie

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent a form in to Ofsted one Friday and and my certificate within 3 weeks. I think it helped hubby had been a childminder till last year
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Aug 10
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

There is so much confusion over assistants now. I have spent most of the evening trying to clarify what they can and cant do - eg on one forum I read that they cant transport children in their own car with business insurance but can find nothing to say this on Ofsted. Then some are saying appraisals are for staff at nursery but others think its for childminders. Then some think they may have to pay for training courses for assistants and theres nothing about it on Ofsted either. I think there should be definate guidelines just for childminders as half of the new framework is for nurserys and its hard to sort out which applies to us.

Actually all I can find on Ofsted is the new 2 hour rule. If anyone has a link to anything 'Official' clarifying this chaos please post it for us all. Its about time Ofsted issued an official document relating to assistants so that everyone could be clear on this as I know if I get it wrong it wont go well for my inspection.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sazzoo View Post
    There is so much confusion over assistants now. I have spent most of the evening trying to clarify what they can and cant do - eg on one forum I read that they cant transport children in their own car with business insurance but can find nothing to say this on Ofsted. Then some are saying appraisals are for staff at nursery but others think its for childminders. Then some think they may have to pay for training courses for assistants and theres nothing about it on Ofsted either. I think there should be definate guidelines just for childminders as half of the new framework is for nurserys and its hard to sort out which applies to us.

Actually all I can find on Ofsted is the new 2 hour rule. If anyone has a link to anything 'Official' clarifying this chaos please post it for us all. Its about time Ofsted issued an official document relating to assistants so that everyone could be clear on this as I know if I get it wrong it wont go well for my inspection.
    You need to go through the EYFS 2012 pulling out all statements linked to assistants / staff - those are the regulations.

With appropriate insurance, evidence of a safe car, risk assessments (in head or on paper - probably best on paper), Ofsted permission to work with children on their own and parents permission there is nothing to stop an assistant who has paed first aid from driving children.

Training should be available as part of CPD - why would it be restricted to nursery staff? Everyone has the right to access it...

Appraisals, supervision requirements etc again are part of CPD. They should be in place to help show you are a professional who supports your staff.

I am not sure why there is confusion to be honest - it's all stated very clearly in the EYFS

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question - What happens about numbers now with having an assistant? Do Ofsted no longer advise you on how many children you can have with an assistant? Are you able to double your numbers? If anyone could clarify this that would be great.

My assistant once gone through all the paperwork process will be doing Tuesday and Thursday 3-6pm