Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Assistants...

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Aug12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Assistants...

So, is an assistant worth it?? I've had an enquiry which im possibly going to have to turn down because it takes me above my eyfs for a measly 1.5 hours! But it will be 4 full days work so been trying to think of a way around it all night (crappy non-sleeping night ) but from what I've read on different posts unless they're fully qualified etc there's not really much an assistant can do, is this right?

Tbh, I don't really want to pay out for someone to get trained up as the woman doesn't go back to work til July, the end of July is obviously school holiday so I won't be having one of my eyfs kids anyway and then once the new guidelines start in september id be ok so I don't really know what todo!

What would you do??

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean it takes you to 4 under 5s?

If so get a Variation. Start and apply because the mins hours of work have increased or maybe it is taking her longer to travel to and from work that previously thought.

I can't see how an assistant would be worth it for such a short time unless you have a friend or family member who would do it. The trouble is that you would be luck to get them registered by July now anyway. It takes about 3 months to get someone new registered because they do CRBs, and follow up references etc.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Aug12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Do you mean it takes you to 4 under 5s?

If so get a Variation. Start and apply because the mins hours of work have increased or maybe it is taking her longer to travel to and from work that previously thought.

I can't see how an assistant would be worth it for such a short time unless you have a friend or family member who would do it. The trouble is that you would be luck to get them registered by July now anyway. It takes about 3 months to get someone new registered because they do CRBs, and follow up references etc.
    Yeah, on a Tuesday there would be between 1 & 1.5 hours where I will have 4 under 5's between 1 being dropped off and another being picked up.
    Will they allow me to get a variation at such an early stage? Would I get in trouble if I took her on with the 1.5hr cross over if the variation took a while to be agreed though?

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree apply for a variation I have one two days a week where I can have 4 under 5s. I had mine granted within a few weeks of minding, you have to prove you could manage on the form but as its for such a short period of time I'm sure you will be fine.

I now have an assistant (level 4 qualified ex-childminder) I pay for her to do courses and first aid and she is self employed so she invoices me every month so I'm not her employer. I have to admit sometimes I look at what I pay her and it is covered by the extra childrens fees but it is nice to have the company and extra pair of hands!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would NOT do it before ofsted agree to it as it only takes one phone call and you could lose everything!

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Aug12
    Post Thanks / Like

But that's what I'm saying, I thought you could only get a variation with existing mindees (or siblings) to continue with the existing care? Would they actually consider it before she's (possibly) started?

Jul 84
    Post Thanks / Like

yes it is poss I had a variation granted so i could take on another child it was for one morning a week.
    I am wondering what is the rate to pay an assistant

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have just had a variation granted for 2 under ones, different families, and only been minding a month, so worth applying for

coffee-time Guest

i got a variation for 4 under 5 every thurs for 3 hours, wasnt a problem and it was for a new mindee too! worth a try. i think it took about 2 weeks to get an answer. hth.

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Both my assistants were registered within 3 weeks but then my partner was already crb's as living together and only needed to do a first aid course to be left in sole charge. Then 2nd assistant already had first aid so only needed crb which was back within a couple of weeks! Luck yes I expect so but just to say it doesn't always take a super long time xx
    xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLegsCM View Post
    Yeah, on a Tuesday there would be between 1 & 1.5 hours where I will have 4 under 5's between 1 being dropped off and another being picked up.
    Will they allow me to get a variation at such an early stage? Would I get in trouble if I took her on with the 1.5hr cross over if the variation took a while to be agreed though?
    I would apply for one and mark it urgent. You can't work without it.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGiggles View Post
    Both my assistants were registered within 3 weeks but then my partner was already crb's as living together and only needed to do a first aid course to be left in sole charge. Then 2nd assistant already had first aid so only needed crb which was back within a couple of weeks! Luck yes I expect so but just to say it doesn't always take a super long time xx

Thanks, that was helpful