Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Revised EYFS Clarifies assistant sole care rules

I see that the revised EYFS answers the often raised question of how long an assistant can care for a child on their own, if they are registered for sole care. It will be two hours at most:

Taken from the EYFS Framework Statutory Framework - 27th March 2012:

3.41 If a childminder employs an assistant or works with another
    childminder, each childminder (or assistant) may care for the number of
    children permitted by the ratios specified above(22). Children may be left in the sole care of childminders’ assistants for 2 hours at most in a single day(23).
    Childminders must obtain parents and/or carers’ permission to leave children with an assistant, including for very short periods of time. For childminders providing overnight care, the ratios continue to apply and the childminder must always be able to hear the children (this may be via a monitor).

For the full document see the Free Resources - http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freere...downloads.html - EYFS Framework - first column
    Pauline x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It will be nice to give people a proper answer from September!

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always wonder how long in hours )

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Funnily enough I was going to ask if from september if i was able to leave my assistant at home with the non schoolies while i do my school runs (and yes I know only if she has a first aid certificate)

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    I see that the revised EYFS answers the often raised question of how long an assistant can care for a child on their own, if they are registered for sole care. It will be two hours at most:

Taken from the EYFS Framework Statutory Framework - 27th March 2012:

3.41 If a childminder employs an assistant or works with another
    childminder, each childminder (or assistant) may care for the number of
    children permitted by the ratios specified above(22). Children may be left in the sole care of childminders’ assistants for 2 hours at most in a single day(23).
    Childminders must obtain parents and/or carers’ permission to leave children with an assistant, including for very short periods of time. For childminders providing overnight care, the ratios continue to apply and the childminder must always be able to hear the children (this may be via a monitor).

For the full document see the Free Resources - http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freere...downloads.html - EYFS Framework - first column

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi so if I register my hubby as an assistant he does his first aid course, permission from parents etc I can leave the smaller children while I do the school run.

He sometimes works from home and all the children know him and it would only be for half an hour at the most that I would leave them with him. Maybe something for me to look into from Sept instead of pushing a double buggy in the rain the kids could stay at home in the warm!!

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it not 2 hours in the old EYFS - I always had that period of time in my head - did I just make it up?
    Celest

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It also asks for the times they are left alone to be documented in case of any comeback.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven Scent View Post
    Was it not 2 hours in the old EYFS - I always had that period of time in my head - did I just make it up?
    You made it up!

2 hours was always generally accepted but it's good to see it finally in writing.