Thread: Teeth Brushing

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Teeth Brushing

Hi

Can anyone recommend a book to encourage toddlers to brush their teeth, im having real trouble with my son and getting him to brush.

Many Thanks
    Nic x
    Nicola x

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teeth Brushing

I can't recommend a book but I had the very same issue with my son who is now 3 - i was at my wits end tbh having to virtually hold his head still to brush his teeth (as he used to buck his head forwards and i was scared of damaging the top of his mouth).
    I took him to tescos and bought him a Spiderman electric toothbrush (it was about £5) - he LOVES it - he enjoys turning it on and off and is happy-ish to let me stand and brush his teeth with it - and because it vibrates i feel i am giving him a decent brush even though its fairly quick.

Anythings worth a try!
    Blessed Be!

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Aahh, thanks kindredspirits, i never thought of an electric toothbrush, guess what Santa will be leaving in his stocking! Lol!
    Nicola x

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

This isn't a book either but a fab resource posted on here awhile ago

http://www.stop-the-rot.co.uk/support-materials.php

You get a lovely smiley crocodile puppet and the children can brush his teeth - my lot love it

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I go into schools to give Oral Hygiene talks I also show parents how to brush their childs teeth.

I tell them to stand behind the child and bend forward this means you can hold the childs chin in your left hand and brush with the right.
    Hold the bristles of the brush at a 90 degree angle so that you brush up under the gum line too.
    Brush the front & back of the teeth and the biting surface, also brush the tounge too as alot of bacteria and plaque is held on the tounge.

Make sure you have a medium/soft brush which is the right size for their age and size of mouth.

Use an egg timer or a musical toothbrush to time the amount of brushing needed, this gives the child something to consentrate on.

once a week it is a good idea to get the children to disclose with either a disclosing tablet or gel to show them where they are missing with the brush.

HTH
    Toothfairy

Post Thanks / Like

Is it true that raisins can rot baby teeth due to the amount of sugar?