Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Story sacks

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Story sacks

What do your top three story sacks contain?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gruffalo ... Gruffalo story, gruffalo s child story. Character s/puppets. non fiction book about woods. Gruffalo snap game. Gruffalo song cd.

Elmer ... Elmer book, other elmer book ( I have several & swap them ) non fiction book about elephants. Elmer toy. Elmer puzzle blocks. Small plastic elephants. Elephant song.

Hooray for fish ... Book, toy fish, non fiction fish book, toy fish tank, fish songs, book about opposites.

Plus I have several bags with song books & either a puppet or toy relating to the song. The children love these too.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. I'm just starting out as a CM after teaching secondary drama for 12 years - quite excited by the prospect of it all!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love doing story sacs. I find a story we like & find some puppets/soft toys/small world bits to help tell the story. Then look for another book in the series or similar, & then for a related non fiction book. I then try to find a song/game that is related.

Forgot...in hooray for fish we have magnetic fishing!

Have fun :0)

june 83
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am really sad at the moment knitting toys to go with stories, really enjoying doing it and the children love the cuddly toys to play with as we read the books or sing the songs

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with the Hooray for Fish book. Major change of mindset from working with 18 year olds! Hunting the Internet for some 'sacks' as I type!

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I wish I could knit!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by staceyanne View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Hooray for Fish book. Major change of mindset from working with 18 year olds! Hunting the Internet for some 'sacks' as I type!
    hooray for fish is a lovely simple story about opposites with lots of different fish, all drawn by lucy cousins - a fish like an eye, a strawberry, an elephant and lots more! at the end little fish is looking for the fish he loves the best, better than all the rest .... mummy fish! mindee loves 'grumpy fish'! my copy of the book also has a DVD.

Hooray for Fish! (Book & DVD): Amazon.co.uk: Lucy Cousins: Books

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one sack which I change - at the one moment we are having story of the month due to everyone only attending or two days a week. I have a collection of laminated labels and pop the appropriate one on. Then I add plastic animals, fiction books, puppets, colouring sheets, a related game, and if story relates to another country a fact sheet about that country. When the sack is changed all the items go back into the relevant storage to be played with - rather than storing lots of bags with resources which wouldn't otherwise get played with.

10. Likes loocyloo, blue bear, Ballette liked this post
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

All great ideas - thank you. Do you allow children to rake them home? I was thinking that this would be a good way of 'working with home'?

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

* take

Sorry

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, 'Dear Zoo' is a popular one here, I've just put together all the animals (my eldest daughter has got loads of beanie baby animals that she collected in the 90's, so fortunately have lots to choose from), I've printed off actual photo's of all the animals as well and laminated them. The children love finding the animal or the photo.

'The Gingerbread Man' is a favourite as well, (borrowed from our local childrens centre).

'Whatever Next' is another favourite, especially if you have a spare small box that you can put the teddy in for his rocket. We have an owl, some small wellies for his space boots and a pan out of the play kitchen for his helmet.

I don't tend to have story sacks as such, I just decide on a book and then get all the props together (if I have them) and put them in a basket in the story corner, I just change it every few weeks dependant on how popular the book is.

Children Centres and libraries usually have lots of story sacks that you can borrow as well.