Childminding in school holidays
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminding in school holidays

Anyone else finding childminding in the school holidays difficult?! Going slightly crazy!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s actually better for me as I only have early years children and some of them are term time only. It means I’m quieter through the holidays.

When my own children were younger though, I did dread the holidays as they were such hard work with the younger children here. I used to book them into holiday clubs to give us all a break 😄

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to hate it. All the lovely groups we attended stopped in the holidays and anywhere that was open - parks, woods etc. were full of school children who dominated everything.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I also find it hard, exhausting covering needs from 18ths to 10 years old. I’m trying to say ‘no’ now to the school children and only have my usual eyfs children. But occasionally a term time only sibling will come and their needs seem to come before everyone else!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m loving it!
    The mix of children and the age range is harder to manage , but the older ones are lovely with the little ones and take play in a whole new direction.
    plus no school runs to juggle and nice weather so they can be out in the garden much of the day.....I’ve genuinly enjoyed my job this half term more than I have for a while....

(Though to be fair this may also be because my hardest mindee has been off this week.....)

6. Likes Maza, loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I’m loving it!
    The mix of children and the age range is harder to manage , but the older ones are lovely with the little ones and take play in a whole new direction.
    plus no school runs to juggle and nice weather so they can be out in the garden much of the day.....I’ve genuinly enjoyed my job this half term more than I have for a while....

(Though to be fair this may also be because my hardest mindee has been off this week.....)

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the mix of ages doesn't it.

I try and tell myself that however much my child "suffers" for it in the holidays, overall i am able to be at home etc throughout the rest of the year because of it.

Good and bad factors i guess. If i wasnt doing this my child would be stuck in 10 hour a day holiday clubs and that would be no fun for them either :-(

9. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I’m loving it!

yes no school runs is a definite plus point!

11. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I think it depends on the mix of ages doesn't it.

I try and tell myself that however much my child "suffers" for it in the holidays, overall i am able to be at home etc throughout the rest of the year because of it.

Good and bad factors i guess. If i wasnt doing this my child would be stuck in 10 hour a day holiday clubs and that would be no fun for them either :-(
    my children are now almost 14 & 17 ... when they were younger I only worked 3 days a week in the holidays, so they still had 'mummy' days, or a day to laze around in their pjs all day ( although, now they are older, they still have pj days ( or i swear my almost 17 yr old had a a pj week over christmas! ) I started working 4 days a week in the holidays, probably about 7 yrs ago, and now I like having the little ones around as it's nice to see someone who actually wants to spend time with me and go out and play !!!

I am trying very hard not to take/have older children in the holidays ... but when they have been with you since babies and come several nights a week after school, it is hard to say no, but actually, they feel like family and everyone just mucks in! I only take new afterschoolers on for termtime only care, as a full day is very different to a couple of hours! ( i have one who i felt mean saying i couldn't have in the holidays ( as term time only ) but very full on, and likes a structured craft activity ... after school, we have about 1/2hr and then it's tea, but a full 8 hours fills me with dread! so i said no! )

I somehow seem to have a houseful almost every day next week, and will have too many for the car, so hope the weather holds, and we will be out walking & exploring! I have a couple of walks planned ( ... and hoping to 'share' the pushchair pushing! ) and lots of out door activities.

13. Likes FloraDora, Pixie dust liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like the holidays, means we can get out and about further afield without clock watching for the school runs.
    I'm also a bit quieter at the moment so feel like they're easier days, even though they're longer ones

15. Likes mama2three, loocyloo liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I love school holidays. We pack our lunches and head off out for the day. No clock watching!!

17. Likes Maza liked this post