Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Contract Help

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 17
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Contract Help

Good evening all,

I am a newly qualified Childminder and am about to mind my first child next month.
    I need some help with how to set up a specificc contract.
    The mum wants term time only but has asked if I could also mind for odd days in school holidays, now thats not a problem at all, however I don't know how I'd go about adding this in to a term time contract. I use the PACEY contracts if this helps.

Thanks in advance

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can write anything you want on contracts as long as they are signed and dated by all parties - so you can change times, days, term time / holidays etc to suit you and the parent/s

3. Likes x Rose x liked this post
    Feb 17
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for this clarification Sarah. xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming the odd days in the holidays would be on an ad hoc basis, as and when required, rather than a regular holiday booking for the same hours each week.

That being the case, enter the regular contracted hours in the weekly grid on page 2 of the current Pacey contract. Write "term time only" by the grid. Make a note below the grid, in the section "Additional notes for term time and school holiday dates" that you offer ad hoc holiday bookings by mutual agreement. Show the fee for this on page 3 against "Hours childminding outside contracted hours".

CMs sometimes experience problems with ad hoc/holiday bookings, especially if the client is disorganised, indecisive or (worst case) unscrupulous. It's worth thinking this through and covering all the bases with a policy for ad hoc bookings. I suggest you require such bookings in writing, signed and paid for in full before you agree to any particular date. State how much notice of cancellation is required, with all or part of the fee being non-refundable in cases of insufficient notice.

You may well get a feel in time for how reliable a client is and whether you can spare a bit of leeway. But initially you're better safe than sorry. This will save you from mums who expect you to provide maximum flexibility in return for which they give you minimum commitment. Otherwise you could find yourself facing last minute cancellations (particularly annoying if you've turned another request from another family down) or a problem with arrears or non-payment.

Strange as it sounds, you may need to specify what you mean by "term time". Because of my location, I draw clients who have children at or who themselves work in schools covered by four local authorities. School holiday dates frequently differ and so I make it clear that I always go by my own county's term dates, and can't guarantee to accommodate any variance from those dates ( though I do try and usually manage it.)

Also think about inset days, which may be unique to each individual school. This is frequently overlooked and can be a source of contention between CMs and mums, each thinking the contract says what they want when all too often the contract doesn't mention insets at all. I know several CMs and mums who've had major fall outs over inset days, and whether the child has a place or if the day needs to be paid for, etc.
    Last edited by bunyip; 15-02-2017 at 01:21 PM.

6. Likes x Rose x, hectors house liked this post
    Feb 17
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bunyip.

I am also assuming it will be ad hoc care during the holidays, I have a first meeting with her and her child next week so I will fin d out for sure.

I have a 'Fee structure with contract options' and have stated for the term time contract:

'Term time only care entitles you to care during the term time only and does not include school holidays, however school inset/training/occasional days are covered as these are not deemed as school holidays. I agree not to charge for contracted days which fall within the published school holidays for the child’s school but to keep the place open and available for when normal school term time resumes.'

At the bottom I have also stated:

'All these contracts will run in term time dates as set down by Hertfordshire Council.
    I ask for a deposit on all contracts to hold the child’s place and this will be deducted from the first invoice. If a contract is signed and then cancelled, the deposit is non-refundable.'