Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pre-reg worries

Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre-reg worries

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. I came on here looking for some advice. I'm currently going through the process of becoming a childminder. I've had a visit from my local childcare officer and she has been through all my paper work which is fine. I have converted my outhouse into a messy play room because I wanted to keep that separate from the house, mainly to please my husband. I am waiting on my husbands DBS certificate to turn up so then I can register. Its been 4 weeks so far and I've been told it can take up to 18 weeks! I currently work in a nursery and i have been there 2 years. Ive got level 2 and my level 3 will finish in march 2017. Reason for choosing childminding is because i don't have GCSEs to be counted in ratio as a level 3 at work and my husband works abroad so when he is away i struggle to juggle work and having my daughter at school whilst also attending after school club. I love working with children and thought childminding would work well with my family. And by doing level 2 and 3 has given me the knowledge of the eyfs and safeguarding. I also have other training from work. I was really excited about starting childminding but recently my husband has discussed his issues with me. Because he works abroad for 4 weeks and is home for 8 weeks, he doesn't want to be surrounded by children and toys. Now im worried im doing the wrong thing. My house is small too but the childcare officer said its absolutely fine, im still worried ill be in my husbands way. I don't want to be at the nursery anymore but all i want to do is work with children. I feel stuck now. What can i do??? Anyone else in this situation??

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You can certainly try to reduce the impact of CMing on your home- choose storage with closed fronts, drawers or pack away under-the-stairs etc. If you have an outhouse then you are doing well anyway- you could use that to store resources and bring out as needed, like a pack-away pre-school would.
    I am lucky to have 100% support from my DH and he has no problem with beakers and bibs round the sink, highchairs at the table, cots in various rooms, a garage full of buggies and a stair gate even though our own children are very big now! He understands why I am doing this and how it benefits us all.
    I have visited CMers out-of-hours and you would never know they were CMers! everything packed away- booster seats rather than highchairs, minimal 'toys', clever storage under sofas and notice boards that unhook and go away after hours etc. You do not need to create a 'nursery', no posters needed!
    Will he be home the hours you will be working? Can you adjust your working hours to avoid when he's home? I know CMers who contemplate giving up because of partners who are fed up of the stuff and the noise etc, so I would take the concern seriously. But it is down to your partnership and how much give and take there is, how much he appreciates and values your career, as well as how you can compromise together to make it work.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My ex didn't used to like the childminding resources or children in his space so we'd compromise and I would be tidied up when he got back and the children would read quietly, do puzzles or watch a little tv until they went home...

It's hard if your partner isn't supportive but if you are sure this is what you want to do then you will make it work

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Caroline,
    When hubby's not abroad does he still go out to work or is he around all the time?
    If he does go out to work there are lots of things you can do to to miminise the impact ready for his hometime, like already suggested I have stuff that packs away and always have tidy up time at 5pm and then quiet activities until the last ones go.
    Also it's your business so you can set your own working hours, so maybe have a chat with hubby to decide about a reasonable finishing time, bearing in mind that you do want to attract some customers, but don't feel you have to take the first person that comes along if it doesn't suit. Also you need to consider how much income you need to bring in, perhaps you don't need to work full time hours.
    Also I much prefer to go out and about most mornings and usually take lunch out with me, mine bring their own lunches so I can easily grab and go. Research local venues to find out where they have covered picnic areas or a cafe where they turn a blind eye if you buy a coffee or a sandwich for yourself.
    Sounds like you already have plans for your outside space, so use that as much as possible, wellies and puddlesuits are a godsend at this time of year.
    I would say give it go, if it really doesn't work out then you can always go back to being employed but you won't know if you dont try.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I love childminding but if dh isnt on side and is gong to be 'at home' during your working hours for 2 months at a time then you both have to be realistic. There is an awful lot of pressure in this job already without additional problems caused by your other half - you both need a really frank discussion before going ahead.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll never know until you try! Give it a go and then evaluate as you go along to see if something that isn't working can be adapted.

My hubby has worked from home for the last few years. He didn't mind the kids but in reality yes, he did look forward to my day off when they weren't around. It's only natural.

We would be out for big chunks of the day - in the woods, library, group, garden etc. He would arrange his day so that when we had our main session at home he would go out to the gym, or sometimes get the weekly shop done. When we were both home at the same time our paths didn't need to cross - he would be in his office (computer corner in the living room) and we would be doing arts and craft in the kitchen, or playing with the train track in the long hallway/playing in the dining room etc.

We live in a two bedroom flat, so not a huge setting either but we made it work. It was nice having him around in some ways but in other ways, yes, it was easier when he was out at work, but no job is perfect.

Have a good talk with him and find out exactly what it is that is bothering him, then come back on here and see how some of us have worked around those specific problems. x
    Last edited by Maza; 02-02-2017 at 11:04 AM.