Nanny transitioning to childminder... ???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nanny transitioning to childminder... ???

Hello.. Just looking for some advise... has anyone been a nanny and then transitioned into childminding from their own home?xx

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nannypops View Post
    Hello.. Just looking for some advise... has anyone been a nanny and then transitioned into childminding from their own home?xx
    I was a nanny and then became a childminder.
    When I had DS I took him to work with me as a nanny, but when he was 18mths, my 'family' really didn't need me any more as all the children were now at school full time (I had been been their nanny for over 5 years!) I had registered as a childminder already ( but had continued to nanny! ) and so I made the transition!
    My old nanny charges actually came a couple of evenings after school and so did some of their friends! It was good to be doing the same job, but from home and being able to do what I wanted when I wanted to do it!
    It took me a few months to fill my spaces and I've been childminding for 14 plus years now!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a nanny. I started off in West London when I was 19 and then met my DH. We moved to Berks where I had my son and took him to work with me, part time.
    Then we moved to Leics and I had another part time nanny job and took my son with me, he was 2yrs then.
    But when I had my daughter I couldn't take 2 children to work so I became a childminder.

Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I nannied until I had my daughter. Once she started preschool I did some agency nursery nursing and then got a part-time post in a LA run nursery. It wasn't for me!
    I registered as a childminder in September 2014 and haven't looked back. I finished my degree last year so I'm looking forward to being able to focus on developing my business. I love the fact I can take my daughter to school and pick her up every day, I can go to sports day, nativity etc (either taking mindees or letting parents make alternative arrangements).

What is most important to me is the fact I decide the ethos and I know the children are being cared for in the way I have discussed with parents and there is consistency in the care provided. I often think this is missing in nurseries. It's also better than nannying- you are the boss and can tell parents when you are going to be away (none of the "2 week of our choosing, 2 weeks of your choosing" discussions) and if parents are late back you are at home and can bill them for the inconvenience.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lal,

I'm a nanny and just starting the process to become a childminder too

I was a nanny before I had children and whilst my children were young. Took a break from nannying then completed my early years education degree in 2015 with a view to doing a teaching degree afterwards but just couldn't face another year of education lol so came back to nannying.

Unfortunately just as I think I'm all settled something happens which made me think about childminding

It certainly looks more attractive than nannying even with all the paperwork lol

It's nice to know I'm not starting on this journey alone