Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: daily diary

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default daily diary

I've got a child who will be turning two soon have him full time. He is going to nursery for three days a week so I will have him for the two days. How many stop doing daily diary at this age.

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I generally stop doing daily diaries around this age. It's mainly down to whether the mindees speech is good as he can recall stories at home. But bear in mind my parents are already aware of our weekly events and get daily updates with WhatsApp and an electronic learning journey. So not all communication stops if the diary entries do.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I carry on with daily diary, I have had 2-day a week 2-year olds and always did a diary.
    But my parents like the diary and use it as much as I do.
    It all depends on the circumstances- if you have a good chat at hand over or not; if the child has issues with food/naps/nappies/toilet training/behaviour which would benefit from clear written communication; if the child is willing/able to tell parents details like what they ate and if they had a nap etc etc.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

What do the family want, when mine start nursery I send the daily diary in with them so the nursery can join in and we can all care for the child in a joined up fashion. To be honest the nursery staff tend to read what I have written but not write in it, it's down to me to chat at collection, remember what they have told me and write it in for parents to read (I dropped and collected from nursery)
    I'd chat to the family and ask what they would prefer, one of my families has asked we go totally digital and no more hand written diaries.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I write a daily diary for all - up to 4 when they leave for school.
    I write most when they are napping/ resting but put a few comments down as they day progresses, then I spend 30 mins at the end of the day attaching the photographs I have taken in the day and then parents usually get it by 5.30-6.
    My diaries are quite full and detailed with observations. I complete them using online software and then I cut and paste sections into obs, from a drop down box choose Cof L or LO that I feel that child has succeeded in...this then automatically gets dropped into LJ and gives info to tracker.
    It's important for me to complete them daily and to do so until they leave because it is the way I record achievements and progress comments ....sometimes I don't have time to assign LO or Cof L at the time but if I have a catch up session the obs are there ready to be cut and pasted. The online system helps with this.
    My parents like the diaries, they are a way we communicate info and achievements at home following something they may have done here...or visa versa...the daily diary has a section for this so easy for parents to fill in as well. They access it at any time in the eve when they are Internet browsing and don't have to remember to put anything back in a bag.
    In the growing focus on working with parents from the government I think the daily diary is an excellent way of evidencing this...my inspector was impressed with the ease in which parents could become involved with their child's learning.
    Not really sure why at 2 you would think of stopping ...what criteria would you use to explain why you do this? On the days the children are with you the parent is getting great info...this is a big plus we can give over nurseries.
    It is still important in my opinion for parents to know what they have eaten, how they are doing with toilet training, naps or rests and learning and progress after a child is 2. The LA 2 year funding I had last year required me to keep info to ...so the diary was a good way to do this in case I was audited.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I write daily diaries until child is in reception. I have an exception this year, as for the first time ever, I have a child attending school nursery and only coming to me for 2 hrs after school. I chat to school and if relevant put any comments in school 'busy book' that comes to and from home/school. But I also always have a good chat with this mum as she is a friend too!

7. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I continue with daily diaries until they leave for reception. I barely get any communication from my daughter about what she has been up to at school and she is nearly seven - so I can not imagine a two year old being able to fill a parent in on what has happened that day. I still do my diaries the old fashioned way - pen and paper/notebook. I keep them open on a work surface throughout the day so that I can add to them as I go along. Often there is a bit of a mad dash towards pick up time to finish them off but the parents have all said that they really enjoy reading them and will write in them too as and when they need to.

I think diaries are just one part of your whole communication system with parents, and so it depends on what else you have in place as to whether or not you can get rid of the diary altogether. x

9. Likes lollipop kid, FloraDora liked this post