How to become a childminder?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face How to become a childminder?

Hi, I'm in need of help and advice!

Ever since having my little girl I've been thinking about giving up my normal job and becoming a child minder. I've spoke to the council about getting on a pre registration course but apparently I'm now on a waiting list. I've also been looking at getting enrolled on a paedriatic course but again, I'm on a waiting list for the areas I want. Are these the first steps you take?

Also, someone made a comment I would need an individual seperate play room for the children? I only have one living room and the kitchen downstairs however I have a lovely size garden.

Can someone please get back to me with advice of how to start up and if I'm going about it the right way?

I live in Birmingham

Thanks in advance!!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello. You certainly do not need a separate room! You need enough space overall and that is specified in the EYFS. Some CMers have a playroom, I do not.

You are doing all the right things- you really need to do that local pre-reg course first as that is where you will get all the local info. Every Local Authority (LA) has their own rules on some crucial things like training, so not much point trying to steam ahead until you get to that session!

It is a long process- 6mths is normal and then time to find clients.

You can read up on EYFS EYFS Statutory Framework
    Read up on all the things in 'Free Resources' in pink bar above - 'Free Downloads', lots of info there to start getting your head around!

Good luck!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Our training course takes 11 weeks. I would think a year from start to finish is a good estimate. DBS checks can take months.
    I know a childminder who's CRB sat in an inbox for a year in an incorrect department!!!

I don't have a toy room/ play room and a small garden

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help??

Hi,

I would like some advice on how to become a childmnder, what is my first step?

Please help!!

Vicki

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vicki.downes View Post
    Hi,

I would like some advice on how to become a childmnder, what is my first step?

Please help!!

Vicki
    This thread is a good place to start http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...06-2014-a.html