Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default getting ready for pre registration

Hi all

im getting ready for my pre reg visit and getting in a bit of a panic that i may forget something does anyone have any handy tips or advice? I dont have any children lined up as yet so not sure of ages i will have on my books but do have a wide variety of toys as have two children of my own. My main areas of concern are the following: do i need to have a copy of contracts and liabilty insurance before the visit? Im also wanting to make sure that everything i have to display is up and ready to go will the inspector want to see a copy of the routine and menus???

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Naomi,
    I had my registration visit today. The lady who I saw asked me about insurance, which I had checked online before hand. I said that I didn't have it yet but told her the company I plan to go with, this was fine. Also no need to have contracts yet as you have no children, just order them when you know you've got children starting.
    She didn't want to see any routines, but did ask if I plan to make meals for the children. so make sure you've looked at safer food better business for childminders (It's online).
    Make sure you look at preparing for your registration visit (ofsted document) and complete it before the visit, she asked me everything in this booklet, but was happy for me to have my notes in front of me.
    Have your safeguarding policy ready, risk assessments done and make sure you have throughly looked at eyfs statutory framework.

Hope this helps

3. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    10/02/2
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Naomi,

I had my registration visit on Tuesday (10th Feb).
    The inspector asked me questions on safeguarding - examples of how you would spot neglect or abuse in each area.
    Asked me to give activities on each of the 7 areas of L&D for a young child and a 4 year old - one activity is enough.
    She made sure I understood the EYFS - vetting procedures for staff/assistants, visiting hours (kept to a min during minding hours), 2 year progress check etc.
    it is definitely worth using the document on their website 'preparing for your ofsyed registration visit' it was a god send as most of the questions she asked were worded the same.
    She briefly looked through my policies and procedures - complaints and missing child one were two she was particularly interested in as well as the obvious ones - medication, safeguarding, health and safety, illness and A&E. Risk assessments and a fire plan.
    She did a quick safety check but none of that needs to be in place until you start.

I hope this has been useful and just remember - be yourself. Existing CM's are right when they tell you it isn't as bad as you think.

10/02/2
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naomi trussler View Post
    Hi all

im getting ready for my pre reg visit and getting in a bit of a panic that i may forget something does anyone have any handy tips or advice? I dont have any children lined up as yet so not sure of ages i will have on my books but do have a wide variety of toys as have two children of my own. My main areas of concern are the following: do i need to have a copy of contracts and liabilty insurance before the visit? Im also wanting to make sure that everything i have to display is up and ready to go will the inspector want to see a copy of the routine and menus???
    Oh and I never had my PL insurance and she didn't ask to see it. I don't think you can have it for minding until you have your reg number. I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this has got me in a bit of a panic now!! Are ofsted inspectors nice??! X