Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminders who have disabilities

Good afternoon
    I am wondering if any of you lovely childminders have any disabilities? I am profoundly deaf and would love to hear from other childminders who have a disability.

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a disability, but good afternoon anyway!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have disabilities either but glad to hear of you ( sorry no pun intended) x

Oct 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I need to explain things a bit better. I have been deaf from a very young age and I have been childminding for 30 years. I wondered if there were others who childmind despite having a disability? I thought we could support one another. If anyone wants to know more about being deaf I'm happy to chat. Maybe some of you have family members who are deaf. Perhaps you care for a deaf child?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a schoolie who is currently being tested, initial tests showing strong signs of deafness.

Very difficult to do a lot from my end. Apart from the walk to/from school, she's only on my premises for 15-40 minutes a week. Anywhere I approach for advice/support says school will provide everything. I have far less faith in the school. They say all the right things, but can't even work out that her regular falls might be something to do with an inner ear problem. I have to complete an 'existing injuries' slip almost every time she comes, as she has several tumbles each week at school. They don't seem to have even identified the problem, let alone made the link with her internal balance system.

Oct 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I have a schoolie who is currently being tested, initial tests showing strong signs of deafness.

Very difficult to do a lot from my end. Apart from the walk to/from school, she's only on my premises for 15-40 minutes a week. Anywhere I approach for advice/support says school will provide everything. I have far less faith in the school. They say all the right things, but can't even work out that her regular falls might be something to do with an inner ear problem. I have to complete an 'existing injuries' slip almost every time she comes, as she has several tumbles each week at school. They don't seem to have even identified the problem, let alone made the link with her internal balance system.
    I would continue keeping a note of her numerous falls as they form part of the wider picture. I know the child is not with you that much but you have possible valuable evidence (falls) that could help diagnosis. I often feel that childminders are ignored when really they can provide lots of information about a child. Perhaps you have noticed something others haven't etc. good luck. 😊

7. Likes hectors house, bunyip liked this post