Mindee Behaviour
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mindee Behaviour

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me. I am new to childminding and have a mindee who I am struggling with, he has been with me since the start of the school year and is here morning and after school. The problem is his behaviour, he does not listen to what I say and back chats constantly. I have spoken to the parent about this already and they were supportive, any advice on how to deal with this ?

Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You said you ave spoken to parents - what do they do at home if he ''misbehaves''? Would this work for you
    , to gain consistency?

You don't say how old mindee is , but there are 2 basic choices - use either punishment or reward to get the behaviour you want! I prefer reward . It doent happen overninght - but choose one behaviour you want to modify - and give him an incentive...what does he like? An afternoon at the park after school? An hours tv time at the end of the week? A comic? lus praise praise praise when you se good behaviour , from this mindee and the others. x

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    You said you ave spoken to parents - what do they do at home if he ''misbehaves''? Would this work for you
    , to gain consistency?

You don't say how old mindee is , but there are 2 basic choices - use either punishment or reward to get the behaviour you want! I prefer reward . It doent happen overninght - but choose one behaviour you want to modify - and give him an incentive...what does he like? An afternoon at the park after school? An hours tv time at the end of the week? A comic? lus praise praise praise when you se good behaviour , from this mindee and the others. x
    I have a child who is pushing younger ones hard enough to knock them over and snatches toys from them. I don't think its an attention thing as she only does it when she thinks ime not looking. I deliberately stand round a corner to see what she is going to do and she looks to see if I am gone. She is three and a half. I like your idea mama but I find it really hard to reward this kind of behaviour. When mum picks her up I tell mum ime not happy with her behaviour and she just laughs at her mum when she asks her why she is doing this. It really annoys me and I find it so hard not to show my disappointment
    Last edited by toddlers896; 30-09-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Thanks for your reply. the child is 6, same behaviour at home at. I have tried to reason with him but it just seems to go in one ear and out the other, if he like this at home what chance do I have !. This morning because of bad behaviour I said there would be no time on the computer, he just said don't care !! I cant see how I can reward constant unacceptable behaviour plus its now affecting all the other children in the setting. Really don't know what to do, I am tempted to speak to the parent and say we will review on a weekly basis. xx

Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not easy - but you wouldn't be rewarding bad behaviour. Its just rewording what you are doing.

So instead of 'youre not going on the computer because you've misbehaved' , youre offering computer time as a reward for positive behaviour. If you can show me how well you can walk home all week ( or whatever the main thing is at the moment) then on Friday you can choose a game to play on the computer...

make the majority of what youre saying to him positive if you can..I like the way you stay back from the kerb when we cross, or whatever else hes doing right , he will learn to enjoy the praise and attention for good behaviour , instead of the majority of communication with him being negative.

Its difficult to change your own perspective , it takes patience , there will be times when it seems pointless , but you and mindee will be much happier when it starts to work...

6. Likes N/A liked this post