Childminding fee's
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminding fee's

Hi, I'm a childminder and at the moment I am the lowest paid in the area. I am wanting to put my fee's up by 50p per hour but I'm not sure if this is too much in one go (it still makes me cheaper as the others are also putting theirs up by 20p per hour). I would just like to know what other people think. TIA for your feedback

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is quite a big jump in one go TBH but i can understand that you want to bring yourself in line with others.
    Are the others equivalent to you in terms of facilities offered, grading ect and also what are their occupancies like? I think that once you have answered these questions it will help guide you a little. As if they have lots of vacancies at the cost they are charging then it may be a factor.

Parents find big jumps an issue although maybe you can introduce a more aligned rate as you do new contracts with new clients

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lainey View Post
    Hi, I'm a childminder and at the moment I am the lowest paid in the area. I am wanting to put my fee's up by 50p per hour but I'm not sure if this is too much in one go (it still makes me cheaper as the others are also putting theirs up by 20p per hour). I would just like to know what other people think. TIA for your feedback
    It's never easy when putting up fees I've only done it once and hated it ha

I tend to try and charge more when I get new parents instead rather than put up fees with parents I already have

I think I put mine up by 50 p an hour last time I was worried but parents we're fine and I gave them a few months before I did it

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xxx

Registered Childminder since
    June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I only put mine up (usually 50p an hour) when l take on new children all other children stay on their starting rate, l explain to parents on signing of contracts that all holidays and absences are paid for and this is why l don't increase my fees whilst their child is with me,I also say to them that l may be a bit dearer to start with but usually end up being cheaper after the first year If a parent later questions why l charge when their child is at nursery or absent l remind them about not increasing fees, its never been a problem doing it this way for me.
    Last edited by QualityCare; 02-07-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that idea, Quality Care. I have put all my new ones on a rate that's more than my existing ones, and I did increase after I'd done my level 3, I felt I was worth it but didn't enjoy doing it much!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lainey View Post
    There is a similar thread somewhere else in this forum...raising fees is not easy but it has to be addressed to keep our business afloat and reflect cost of living and quality
    My own opinion is that it is difficult to have some parents pay more than others because they do share info and can question that

Why not put a clause in your contract that fees are 'reviewed' each year and specify the month...so everyone is warned and notified of any increase or not as the case may be?...then review every contarct

I think all other settings revise fees regularly...why not CMs?

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't increase my fees for existing clients, and sell this as a positive benefit - a sort of loyalty bonus. Parents do compare notes, but even those on a slightly higher rate can see that they will in due course be paying less than subsequent newcomers.

I also have different rates for different numbers of hours, so those who are close to full time are paying less per hour than those who only do odd bits. If parents reduce their hours, they go onto the then current rate for the number of hours they drop to. This makes me feel better about it, if nothing else.