Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I call Ofsted ?!

I am still waiting for my first Inspection to get my grading. Been childminding a year now. I have been thinking of calling Ofsted to request an Inspection, a CM friend told me you can do this. Anyone ever done it ??
    Just want to get it over with !!!
    Xx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I waited 18 months for mine (2 years from registering almost to the day lol)

@ the 6 month mark, I had no children
    I called them when I did, and was told they'd be in touch

I called them when my 2nd and 3rd and then 4th eyfs child started

I called them when my DD turned 16

I called them 3 or 4 times after that, to be told very abruptly that they knew I was waiting and basically stop calling

My first eyfs child left - the one with the most evidence, been here 18 months, and had done my first 2 yr old check with

My other eyfs children left as they started full time school

I then had no children in eyfs and no LJ's (evidence) as they took them with them

I started a new eyfs child, a 9 month old baby with severe separation anxiety

He'd been here a matter of weeks (still suffering) and I got the call

I had 3 weeks advance notice (anytime in the next 3 weeks)

I started another eyfs child, been here 1 week

Ofsted turned up lol

On the plus side, I got good, and we cracked the separation anxiety so had loads of evidence of working in partnership with parents

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the position I'm in almost ! Done loads of work with my LO who is nearly 3 but she is leaving in Sept so really wanted to get Inspected before then!
    So no use calling them then ?
    Thanks for reply xxxxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No we can't request inspection... it might be something that is coming in the future (at a cost of course) but not yet

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks Sarah xxx

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am awaiting my first visit and hoping it is within 5/6 months as I want to be able to take 3 year old funding in September, my LO's parents would rather he stay with me than attend a nursery....

I will not be happy if they don't come on time as this a big issue given that funding is only available to CM's who are graded good+ !!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just been accepted for 3 year funding - in my area you need a Good or be pre first grading.
    Xxxx

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

My childminder friend has been waitin since 2012!!

She is taking funded spaces for 3-4yr olds as she has proved to the LA through paperwork and observations she is more than capable

It's a joke tbh. And not fair on having to wait so long for a grade. Luckily it hasn't effected her demand

I've been waiting 5yrs 5months now and tbh what's to say I'm any better by having an inspection!

Why should I pay to request an inspection! I am tempted though ;-)

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the waiting thats driving me crazy !
    Any number on my phone that's unlisted gives me the jitters !! X

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wait till you answer and it IS ofsted on the phone lol!

I lost all my confidence in seconds hahaha

Emotions in order:
    Heart dropped to my feet
    Shakes and panic
    Frantically pull out Sarah's checklist
    Go looking at how others do things
    Decide I'm rubbish as I don't do half of what they do
    Check paperwork and LJ's are still up to date (they are)
    Decide they're doing too much and what I do works for me
    Pull out Sarah's checklist again
    Message Sarah for reassurance and guidance due to my concerns of lack of evidence
    Advise parents inspection imminent
    Gratefully receive praise from parents that I have nothing to worry about
    Decide it is what it is and calm down
    Wake up sweating - did I remember to do x, y, and z
    Double check - yes I did
    *** it, can't do anymore than I have
    Sit back, relax, and wait
    Panic
    Doubt myself
    Pull out Sarah's checklist again (for the thousandth time) and check I've got everything (which I had...., still....., not changed since the last time I checked surprisingly lol)
    Go back to the beginning of this list several times, until the door goes and it's Mrs O

I'm sure you'll be fine, and your emotions are very normal, and my inspector was lovely, put me totally at ease and the children were fab

11. Likes karen2010, joannes liked this post
    Simona Guest

For those who are not updated Ofsted are a bit behind with their inspections even for newly registered CMs....

Flora Dora ...I would check with your LA because some do allow new cms to do the funding despite having no first inspection (mine does as I know cms who can fund but have no 1st inspection as yet )...yes that is how 152 LAs do as they want and we have 152 variations on the theme.

Sept 2014 is not that far away and LAs will only get funded for the children they place not like at the moment which is based on those 'eligible'...any LA should be able to share this with their providers and it is DfE ruling

There is talk of being able to pay for an inspection but, my understanding from what I have read and heard, is for a 're-inspection' not a first one...

I am sure more will come out soon on this but NDNA have been sharing info on this...I hope the rest of the associations will share info too

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post

I've been waiting 5yrs 5months now and tbh what's to say I'm any better by having an inspection!

Why should I pay to request an inspection! I am tempted though ;-)
    I've been waiting 5 1/2 yrs now! ... I'm half petrified of an inspection and half 'so what?' But I'm not going to chase them! Xxx

14. Likes Chimps Childminding liked this post
    Simona Guest

While I think that it would be more reassuring if the 'inspection cycle' was followed to give us all a bit more peace of mind ...my thinking is about newly registered cms...some whom have been registered for up to 2 years...and still awaiting their 1st inspection to get priority over those who have a good or above grade at last inspection even if that was 5 years ago?

In some LAs these new cms are also drawing funding for 2 year olds but have never undergone an inspection, possibly have little EY support and no one may know their knowledge on Safeguarding....I think that must be the priority?

I am not sure if cms are aware that Ofsted intends to do 'light touch' inspections in future for schools with high grades concentrating on poor provision?

My view is that the inspectorate should concentrate on cms who are waiting for their 1st inspection rather than those who have been judged good or above and already have a history?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Kiddleywinks that made me laugh !!!
    Obviously I am now going to ask you for Sarah's list !!!!!!
    Do you have a link for it ?
    I am on this forum and on a Facebook page for childminding and have learnt so much, I'm pretty sure I am doing everything correctly but I do love a list !!
    I would like to be inspected to get my grading but also to get confirmation that I am doing it all properly, if that makes sense, I put everything into my job,as I know we all do, seems ridiculous that I have 8 mindees to care for over the week, and all the responsibility that the job entails, but no inspection yet to confirm that I am doing the job properly !
    My ****** car gets inspected more than me at the moment !!!
    So I want it but am kind of dreading it too !
    Bit like how I felt about childbirth!
    Although my Daughter breech so I had an elective Caesarian - was fab - even kept my lippy on !!!!
    Xxxx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Didn't use the f word used the b word for my car - re: previous post !

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karen2010 View Post
    Didn't use the f word used the b word for my car - re: previous post !
    The swear filter works very well and all words are automatically starred out :-)

Here is the checklist :-)

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...-version*.html
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much !! Xxx

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    The swear filter works very well and all words are automatically starred out :-) Here is the checklist :-) http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...-version*.html
    Thought for a minute there you were going to give us a list of banned words(!) and was wondering how that would work!!!!!!
    Def use Sarah's checklist, Karen - it's great!

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to reply and say no harm in giving them a call and letting them know that you have an EYFS child now but will possibly not come September as *most* of the Ofsted phone answering staff are helpful... but... having read the rest of the thread I cant believe how lapse Ofsted are being! I agree with Simona, surely new CM's should be a priority, from what I have seen on messaging boards here and on fb some have very little knowledge of childcare guidelines/eyfs and from my experience with my LA I would imagine many have very little support.

Im amazed that after all the talk of 'raising the bar' and bringing in new harder courses etc etc that they are the ones that are then not ensuring that everything is implemented?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast