A silly things to be loosing sleep over!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A silly things to be loosing sleep over!

Hi all, I am in the process of becoming a childminder. I think (fingers crosses) after hours of work I have finally sorted my paperwork. I have done risk assessments. I have my safety equipment, still have a bit of work to do in the garden but no drama. BUT I'm worrying over the pram and toys. My local authority lady told me I would need everything in place for my pre-reg visit, but how do I get a pram if I don't know what children I will have on my books ditto with toys (I have had some toys given to me so I'm not toyless).
    I know it may sound daft all this but its the only thing that's really bugging me. If anyone could give me some guidance I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks

Maxine

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't worry, the inspector would like to hear what resources you may be providing but you don't need to have everything yet. As you say you don't know ages of children you will be looking after yet

3. Likes maxine03 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maxine03 View Post
    Hi all, I am in the process of becoming a childminder. I think (fingers crosses) after hours of work I have finally sorted my paperwork. I have done risk assessments. I have my safety equipment, still have a bit of work to do in the garden but no drama. BUT I'm worrying over the pram and toys. My local authority lady told me I would need everything in place for my pre-reg visit, but how do I get a pram if I don't know what children I will have on my books ditto with toys (I have had some toys given to me so I'm not toyless). I know it may sound daft all this but its the only thing that's really bugging me. If anyone could give me some guidance I would truly appreciate it. Thanks Maxine
    Hi Maxine,

My Development Officer told me exactly the same thing, that I would need all my resources in place before Ofsted came out and I really started to panic and doubt myself.

However, I have been reassured by other members on this forum that as long as you let Ofsted know what you plan to get then you will be fine xx

5. Likes maxine03 liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would do some research - think about which double buggy you'd like to get, write a wish list of toys, etc and then ask Mrs O when she phones to arrange your visit. It'll be her making the final decision as to whether she wants to see everything or not. Bit unrealistic of your DO to say you have to have everything. What if you but baby toys and then get enquiries for three four year olds, or vice versa? Plus resources are expensive and if you're buying second hand then you may have to search for what you want, which takes time.

7. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I had some toys in place then first family had a baby so luckily there was a local nct sale so got what I needed. I only had a single buggy and bought a double once I knew I needed one. Just tell Mrs o what you have, what you want to source resources wise and state you aren't buying any big equipment until you know what age you are looking after,i am sure it will be fine

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

As you will probably see from some threads on here, we are all adding to our collections all the time. We also change our minds on some of the things we have when we discover something else.

Please dont stress too much. As others have said a wishlist is great. You can put ideas next to age groups and maybe add what the item would help the little one with. For example, building blocks to help with building, creativity, colour sorting and shape sorting. This will also show that you are forward thinking to your planning.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your feedback, I feel a lot more relaxed about it all now. I've started a catalog of sorts with toys for different ages also linking to different areas of the eyfs. And as for the pram I'm going to have a browse over the next week, and read some reviews

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that Ofsted would be interested in the buggy...If they do ask just say you will buy accordingly.
    There's no good buying a single if you get twins and vice versa.

Toys are the same.....If you take on a 1yr old it will be a waste of money if you've bought toys for older children and its expensive to buy everything outright.
    I built mine up over time and bought new toys with deposits when people signed contracts.

Don't worry.....Ofsted will want to see safety and space, paperwork but I don't thin they will ask about pushchairs.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi im pre-reg as well and my local authority said the same my pre-reg visit means you have to show OFSTED you are ready as in to take a child the next day (i know you need to wait for certificate first) but that is exactly what they said. Im lucky I have an 18month old so have quite a few resources but lacking in boy toys and older toys. I am concentrating on general resources e.g. multicultural toys (around the world figures by happy land), books etc.... so can be used across the ages when I eventually get my first child will look at the development matters document and go from there. I have noticed people generally do build up their resources and it takes time. How about using free resources e.g. library, your back garden, cardboard box etc.... A cardboard box can be anything to a child - imagination and play!!!!
    Im not stressing as its pre-reg and they are there to help you (i'm am told by other CM's in my area - GOD bless there cotton socks!!)
    Hope this helps?!?!? xxx

Mar 14
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Had my pre-reg few months ago , they never asked about buggys or toys, I have more toys now than I did a few months ago downstairs, and she didn't say nothing, I showed her a wish list of all the things I needed, so I wouldn't stress out to much, I still haven't got a double buggy and my daughter is 18 months, but all my calls have been for children over 3, so don't stress xx

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

My DO told me I should have PLI in place for Pre Reg and when I said "How can I do that as you have to have your Ofsted certificate and EY number before insurance companies accept you" she blushed with embarrassment and said "they want to see you are ready to start the next day", I wonder if we both had the same DO.

I actually think the DO's put a lot more on us just to make them look good, mine wanted me to have all sorts of things that wasn't even mentioned or looked for during my pre reg visit. it would've cost me a fortune to do it all, so I shown my wishlist to Mrs O who told me not to bother with a lot of it ( double buggy, scooters, bikes etc) until I am sure I am minding these age groups and if I didn't get registered it would've been a huge cost for nothing.

She wanted to see paperwork in order, risk ass, policies etc; safety equipment, secure garden area, bathroom, sleeping area, menu, and a very good knowledge of Safeguarding & Welfare of children, complaints procedure,equal opportunities, and a load of questions on the 7 areas of learning.
    I had all these in place and only a few toys which I showed to her and has others have said explained I will get more resources if and when I am registered to accommodate my mindees.

A little tip which I think I got from Sarah's e-books which I bought, write down what you would do for each age group for the 7 areas of learning, its much easier than thinking on the spot when your nervous and just let her read through them as she goes along makes it easier for her too and she may ask the odd question just to check you do know your stuff and not just copied from somewhere. My age groups were 8 months and 3 year old that I was asked about.

Good luck.

15. Likes hectors house, bunyip, FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    My DO told me I should have PLI in place for Pre Reg and when I said "How can I do that as you have to have your Ofsted certificate and EY number before insurance companies accept you" she blushed with embarrassment and said "they want to see you are ready to start the next day", I wonder if we both had the same DO.

I actually think the DO's put a lot more on us just to make them look good, mine wanted me to have all sorts of things that wasn't even mentioned or looked for during my pre reg visit. it would've cost me a fortune to do it all, so I shown my wishlist to Mrs O who told me not to bother with a lot of it ( double buggy, scooters, bikes etc) until I am sure I am minding these age groups and if I didn't get registered it would've been a huge cost for nothing.

She wanted to see paperwork in order, risk ass, policies etc; safety equipment, secure garden area, bathroom, sleeping area, menu, and a very good knowledge of Safeguarding & Welfare of children, complaints procedure,equal opportunities, and a load of questions on the 7 areas of learning.
    I had all these in place and only a few toys which I showed to her and has others have said explained I will get more resources if and when I am registered to accommodate my mindees.

A little tip which I think I got from Sarah's e-books which I bought, write down what you would do for each age group for the 7 areas of learning, its much easier than thinking on the spot when your nervous and just let her read through them as she goes along makes it easier for her too and she may ask the odd question just to check you do know your stuff and not just copied from somewhere. My age groups were 8 months and 3 year old that I was asked about.

Good luck.
    Absolutely!

LAs and DOs talk a h3ll of a lot of BS. I've figured they do it deliberately in order to prepare us for registration, when we find that Ofsted, DofE, Gove, Truss, Cameron, et al speak the same nonsense too.

Fortunately, the lovely Sarah's e-books are very useful, as she absolutely bucks the trend of making it up as you go along. She really does know what she's talking about. As soon as I have my Sarah-Cloning Machine sorted out, there's gonna be a lot of DO's out of a job.

Simona Guest

It puzzles me after so many years why we accept what DOs ....or whatever they are called in each LA.....for granted and not challenge them in the same way we are told we can an inspector who makes an individual interpretation/judgement?

We have raised enough objections about inspectors interpreting legislation and regulation their way...rightly so...if anything to avoid confusion...so why not for the advice that some LAs give CMs?

The EYFS and regulations are the same for everyone...that includes those whose role is to support us regardless of whether their LA role has been diminished or taken away...so why oh why do they not read it the same way?

when will CMs start challenging dodgy advice when it is obvious it has no place in the EYFS?
    We are told to read all EYFS documents and all Ofsted related publications to be ready for an inspection....I would start by asking any DO who gives doubtful advice 'where in the EYFS or regulation it states that...please point to it and discuss???

Will be interesting to know what the reply is then!

18. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona, at least you're asking the right questions.

I can only speak for myself, but here is the answer in my experience.

New CMs are pushed by their LA to hook up with their DO and local CM group. Being new, isolated, working alone and self-employed, probably for th first time, and possibly quite bewildered by it all, new CMs will do exactly what they're told. Why not? They've found a peer group with hot coffee, chocolate biscuits and an experienced mentor who seems to have all the answers. No more worries. (I think religious cults work along the same lines, but that's another matter...)

The DO who was doing the rounds when I started had my local CM group eating out of her hand, and the CMs were either too lazy or too despondent to challenge her and find things out for themselves. Even the better ones were too weary of her domination to go against the crowd.

My response to her constant edicts of "you must do this" or "you cannot do that" etc. was to ask "says who?" and "show me where it says so". Naturally, I was instantly branded a 'troublemaker' with no right to question her. She'd been doing this for donkey's years: no matter that she'd been doing it exceptionally badly - she had experience, qualifications, and absolute control, so who was I to trouble her with mere facts, regulations, legislation, the truth, and so on....?

Well of course I'm a troublemaker. It's my job. If I don't question everything, then the lo's will never learn to question everything, and their 'education' will be reduced to sitting nicely whilst being dictated to by some teacher who probably still thinks "text" is a verb.

Btw, if my experience is reflected elsewhere, then the implication is that CMs (at least the new ones) may be too overworked, overwhelmed, lazy, call it what you will, to find stuff out for themselves. The likelihood is that agencies, with their "let us take all that nasty regulatory pressure off you: you just play with the kids while we take all the money" approach will step into the shoes of DOs and take on the role of spoon-feeding their newly-registered CMs with the same old BS.
    Last edited by bunyip; 14-07-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Simona, at least you're asking the right questions.

I can only speak for myself, but here is the answer in my experience.

New CMs are pushed by their LA to hook up with their DO and local CM group. Being new, isolated, working alone and self-employed, probably for th first time, and possibly quite bewildered by it all, new CMs will do exactly what they're told. Why not? They've found a peer group with hot coffee, chocolate biscuits and an experienced mentor who seems to have all the answers. No more worries. (I think religious cults work along the same lines, but that's another matter...)

The DO who was doing the rounds when I started had my local CM group eating out of her hand, and the CMs were either too lazy or too despondent to challenge her and find things out for themselves. Even the better ones were too weary of her domination to go against the crowd.

My response to her constant edicts of "you must do this" or "you cannot do that" etc. was to ask "says who?" and "show me where it says so". Naturally, I was instantly branded a 'troublemaker' with no right to question her. She'd been doing this for donkey's years: no matter that she'd been doing it exceptionally badly - she had experience, qualifications, and absolute control, so who was I to trouble her with mere facts, regulations, legislation, the truth, and so on....?

Well of course I'm a troublemaker. It's my job. If I don't question everything, then the lo's will never learn to question everything, and their 'education' will be reduced to sitting nicely whilst being dictated to by some teacher who probably still thinks "text" is a verb.

Btw, if my experience is reflected elsewhere, then the implication is that CMs (at least the new ones) may be too overworked, overwhelmed, lazy, call it what you will, to find stuff out for themselves. The likelihood is that agencies, with their "let us take all that nasty regulatory pressure off you: you just play with the kids while we take all the money" approach will step into the shoes of DOs and take on the role of spoon-feeding their newly-registered CMs with the same old BS.
    Bunyip...I do identify with the 'trouble maker' bit...ask questions or challenge anyone else's wisdom and that is the label we get! I have worn the Tshirt !

I also am very capable...as are the vast majority of cms....of reading EYFS and accompanying documents and arriving at the right decisions...if I get it wrong then I am also prepared to discuss on judgement day!

I always think as an independent mind as I lead and manage my practice....and always remember that...on inspection day...no Do will be there to discuss 'my provision' with the inspector and hold my hand...sometimes I think it would be a great idea to have all these people who know best be there with us...maybe the inspectors will realise how much contradicting advice we get

I realise it is hard for new cms but I hope they have the insight to seek advice from other CMs not just whoever is left in their LA

The message to all CMs is that as 'independent CMs' we need to stick together, support each other and show how practice works in real terms not just by the useless paperwork provided...or imposed...by our LAs.

CMs need to be empowered with self confidence and the ability to argue the right points...that would be the most precious training we could ever attend.

21. Likes Jayse74 liked this post