Policy relating to parents breaching confidentiality
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Policy relating to parents breaching confidentiality

I have a policy that states I do not want parents discussing my family and I will not be discussing theirs. Does anyone have one about parents not discussing things they have been told with each other?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I talk to parents about it during induction and I have some information in my terms and conditions which are part of my contracts.

I would consider terminating a contract if a parent failed to keep something I told them about my family confidential ... i would see it as a breakdown of the relationship

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I cover this in my confidentiality policy, and highlight it to parents before contracts are signed.

Extract:
    • Parents will also find out confidential information about me and my family and other clients/families during the course of our working relationship. I expect parents to respect my family’s confidentiality and that of other families who are in any way connected with my setting, and must not repeat anything they have heard to other parties.
    • Parents will refrain from making any written, verbal, online (including social media) communication which may be prejudicial or detrimental to my business, reputation, good name, family, clients, minded children etc.
    It's disappointing this isn't impressed on CMs. Confidentiality and privacy cuts both ways. But whenever it's covered in training, DO briefings, etc. etc. it's always about our responsibilities to families: nothing about the CM's rights.

I'm continually horrified by what I hear from mums at toddler group and playground covens gossiping about their childcarers, not to mention the stuff Mrs bunyip turns up via her Facebook account.

Simona Guest

It must be covered in our Confidentiality and also Data Protection policy...one policy will do.
    It is also recommended we add reference to social media if parents or cm use it...whatever they/we discuss must not identify carer or families and children

A cm's address or details should not be given out by parents unless we consent to it and it works the other way round too

Simona Guest

Useful blog by Kathy Brodie on Cms and social media

Social Networking for Childminders

6. Likes Bumble Beez liked this post