Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default existing injuries form

Hi all,

I am a new registered childminder and in a total panic about all the do's and donts, can sombody please tell me, am I right in thinking that I need to record existing injuries on a child. So if I notice grazes scrapes or bruises when child is dropped off, I should fill in on a form and get parents to sign it, or if I notice them later I should fill it in and get them to sign on collection?

Do you do this for every single mark you notice, where do you draw the line on what to record and not?

It all seems so overwhelming at the moment, and I am terrified of doing something wrong!

Thanks so much for your help

Emma x

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Emma

Welcome to the Forum. Yes, you do need to record existing injuries, preferably when a parent drops off. I think some common sense can be applied to whether you have to record absolutely everything. Small children do get bumps and bruises. But I would err on the side of caution at first and record everything. Firstly, because it will get you in the habit of doing it but also for the parents to get in the habit of telling you about injuries, particularly ones that are hidden at drop off. I had one situation where a LO was obviously under the weather and I then discovered a rash the parents hadn't mentioned. So I was on the phone to the emergency services with suspected meningitis. Thankfully all was well but it was a lesson to me to be stricter with parents and to spell out to them _why_ it was so important to tell me. Hth.