New childminder - 1st mindee ad hoc?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New childminder - 1st mindee ad hoc?

Hi, I'm a newly registered childminder, just got my certificate through a week ago. I have just been approached to provide ad hoc care for a child.

Do I need a contract for this type of care? and if so, would it be the same as a regular contract? (I have some from Pacey)

Also, I do not have public liability insurance yet as I was waiting until I got my first mindee, so would I need to get that sorted first?

Is there any other paperwork I would need to have if working on an ad hoc basis?

Sorry for so many questions, I wasn't prepared for my first mindee not to be 'regular'!

Thanks in advance for any advice x

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davina77 View Post
    Hi, I'm a newly registered childminder, just got my certificate through a week ago. I have just been approached to provide ad hoc care for a child.

Do I need a contract for this type of care? and if so, would it be the same as a regular contract? (I have some from Pacey)

Also, I do not have public liability insurance yet as I was waiting until I got my first mindee, so would I need to get that sorted first?

Is there any other paperwork I would need to have if working on an ad hoc basis?

Sorry for so many questions, I wasn't prepared for my first mindee not to be 'regular'!

Thanks in advance for any advice x
    Well done, you.

First of all, yes, if you are going to start having children with you, you will need your Public Liability insurance. Have you also got your Paediatric First Aid or Safeguarding training? What about Food Hygiene training?

Contracts/paperwork: If you are going to take this child on (bear in mind that you'll need to decide whether or not you can continue to offer this child a space should you begin to fill up with your regular mindees), then you should do all the same paperwork that you would do for a full-time child, so that means:

Attendance register
    Contract (Pacey do a short-term contract that you can use for periods of care for up to 4 weeks at a time). I sometimes use these, or you can do a regular contract, but just write 'ad hoc' on it (then put a sheet in front of it for all of the periods of care as they are booked).
    Policies and Procedures
    All About Me/Child Record Form
    Accident/Incident forms
    Invoices (if you want to do these)

Depending on the age of the child and how often they attend your setting, you might also need to do something akin to a Learning Journal, or if they currently attend another setting as an Early Years child, then you'll need to show that you share information with this setting.

How old is the child?

All the best,

L

Others on the forum have lots more experience than me of ad hoc care, so I'm sure they'll be along soon to share their advice. Good luck!
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 12-06-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on getting an enquiry so quickly.

For ad hoc care you need everything the same as you would for a regular contract. You will be working just the same, even if it isn't on a regular basis. It would also bee good practice for you and help you find your way round the paperwork before you get a permanent child.

Things to consider with ad hoc care:

Are you planning on being available whenever you are needed, or will you make it clear to parents that you will only take the child if you have the space (so taking into account any other children you take on).
    Very often parents see ad hoc care as the best of both worlds - a guaranteed space, but only paying for the care they use. Just be careful that you don't end up keeping a whole space available for them for very little money.

How much notice will parents need to give to book a space? When will they pay - in advance or after care? What if they book a space then decide they don't need it. Will they have to pay or will they expect not to pay?

What will happen if you have enquiries and fill all your spaces? Will parents be aware that you might not be able to offer any care if you will your spaces?

I have a few ad hoc children who I look after. I make it clear that there are no guaranteed spaces available. Parents can request the days they want and if I have space I will have the child. If I don't have the space, or don't want to take the child for whatever reason, I am under no obligation to.

To secure the place I give parents a booking form. They complete the form and pay the fee. Only then are the days booked. If they cancel the days with less than 2 weeks to go, I do not refund the money. That stops them booking places 'just in case', then cancelling at the last minute and leaving me with an unfilled space.

4. Likes lollipop kid, Tealady, moggy liked this post