Working with other settings your thoughts please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Working with other settings your thoughts please

History - 3 children 10,6 and 3 started with me last September term time only, youngest attending school nursery 3 half days of the 4 days they are with me. Did intro letter to all 3 teachers and head which included mums permission to share info. Mum also introduced me to head on first school day.
    Have worked very happily with all 3 teachers and end of first term had meeting with nursery teacher. I wrote up what was said at meeting mum, teacher and me signed and all had copies.
    End of second term meet with nursery teacher and year 1 teacher, I wrote up notes of both meetings gave them to them to check and sign. Return of notes very very slow ended up being told staff cannot sign anything. Explained then how am I to prove to mum and ofsted that we met and what was said ?? Asked nursery teacher how is this working together, she said she would try again with the head.
    Practically I know I can either e mail notes through general school office ( not very confidential) but would be proof I tried or send notes registered post and then someone would have to sign for them.
    I'm just sooooo cross, why is this head being so awkward. She has also now said that I cannot come into school early (convenient time agreed with her staff and me) as all the other parents will want to come in at that time said through her staff. Sent her e mail apologising for causing trouble coming in early and also that I'm fellow professional not parent!
    Every child matters and EYFS are all about working together for the good of the child. This head won't even look at me when she's on gate duty
    I have at least another 3 years to go working with this school my question is should I make appointment with head to clear the air, find out her problem or should I just ignor and carry on?
    If you've got through reading all this thank you x
    Just sooo frustrated!!!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you only need to meet with the nursery teacher and save 6&10 year old school meetings for parents.

I can understand sharing info with nursery staff as you both look after LO and you can share observations towards outcomes but once in school I am not sure what benefit it is for year 1 teacher to meet with you -
    In many years of working in a school I have never known my KS1 and 2 teachers have a formal meeting with the person that looks after the children before and after school unless parents invite you to attend a specific meeting with them say special needs and support needed or a team around the child involving a CAF or loked after child. The school Professional would write the minutes of the meeting and staff would not be required to sign anything. The staff are too busy to do so, if every teacher had to have a formal meeting with the person that picks the children up from school every term they would run out of time- that's why schools have parents meetings termly or annually.

You don't need signed minutes to prove to ofsted you liaise, your notes around the meeting in child's file will be enough. If you have chatted before school, passed on a message from parents etc... You can jot it down in the child's journal.

I don't want to offend, it might just be the style of your writing but it comes over as if you are ordering the school to do things? What do you hope to get out of the meeting? Make them sign your notes? Antagonise the HT? Do you expect special treatment from the HT when entering the school?

I agree with HT that you shouldn't have preferential treatment too, her staff should not have to be looking after children/ be talking to you before school opening times, often they have a before school meeting, finishing just before children due on premises so not practical for you to get there early. They are busy and shouldn't have to look after children earlier, they may be put in a situation that they can't discuss things with other staff because you or children are there, or can't leave their classroom to get something for the preparation because they can't leave the child on their own. Are you also a parent at the school? Other parents would just see you as being able to do something they can't, the teachers have entered into this agreement with you without the HT's permission probably and now she knows she has stopped it - she is in charge and will have her reasons for doing this. Why should a CM be allowed to go in to school any earlier than a parent? I used to have a CM and parents want to drop children off early for their convenience ...but not pay to attend my breakfast club which was provided so That parents could drop children off earlier. It was running at a loss, therefore a cost to the school whilst in the entrance hall and classrooms children were arriving early via private arrangements and getting before school care free- it is not good business sense, it doesn't treat the school community fairly. Occasional, help the parents out, is fine but not a daily arrangement.

I would continue your liaison with the nursery staff, if HT is in agreement , but leave the parents to arrange and attend meetings for the older children and just have the usual take and pick up, occasionally exchanging info, relationship with them.
    Last edited by FloraDora; 28-05-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Flora, no I wasn't ordering school what to do I want to work together and support school. You make some valid points about them being busy. No children were taken to school for the meetings and the timings were agreed as good ones with the staff. My own children don't attend the school either.
    The family is a vulnerable one but working so hard to get/keep on track and they need to know that we are working together to support them but points taken. Thanks x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In reality you had a good nursery teacher who was sharing information and letting you go in for meetings. Not a lot of schools accommodate that much.

The older 2 children I can see both sides you are trying to help by sharing information but there is no requirement to do so as they are out of the EYFS and ofsted wont be bothered about them.

Maybe like Floradora says be happy with the informal chats at the door with the older 2 and keep up the good communication with the nursery and reception staff
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those areas where I get fed of the amount of work I have to do which is of no benefit to children of families. but is necessary to provide my 'case for the defence' when Ofsted come to call.

I have some lovely feedback and communication with Surestart, the village preschool, a local nursery, etc. etc. But our village school's head (who is so full of BS when it comes to proclaiming the school's "place at the heart of the community") continues to treat the village CMs as scum.......... when she is forced to acknowledge we even exist.

Tbf, some of the teachers are reasonably responsive and I have filed stuff I'm got back from them.

For the most part, I have a file filled with copies of letters sent to the school, with SSAEs, with the words "no response received" written in block capitals for inspectres to see.

Next time I'm inspected, I will be handing a copy of every letter to the inspectre and requesting s/he makes sure it is taken into consideration when the school is inspected.

6. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My local school is great at sharing info from nursery up to yr 6! ( Helps that dds best friends mum is one of the nursery teachers and I know all the staff! )
    Local preschool only share if I speak to them and it's never convenient to look at LJs ... But they like to look at mine! Other nurseries occasionally reply to emails and do chat if I do ac rare pick up. But I put copies of emails I send and dates of attempts to share in LJs and that is all I can do!