Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Contracts and holiday

Hi,

In my policy I ask that parents still pay for their child's place when they go on holiday.

However I'm about to take on my first mindee and they are going on a 4 week holiday a week after starting.

I use Pacey contracts so if I complete the contract to say that the parent must pay when they go on holiday do you think I can allow an exception for this 4 week holiday?

Thanks

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

That is your personal choice.

If you decide to not charge the parents you might need to point out to them that it is a 1 off.

However if you do charge it might help the parents to realise you are running a business.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would stick with my policy and charge.

If they have a problem with that- can't they delay the start with you to after they come back? Might be easier for child too, rather than starting to settle then away for 4 weeks and starting to settle again?

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kmc13 View Post
    Hi,

In my policy I ask that parents still pay for their child's place when they go on holiday.

However I'm about to take on my first mindee and they are going on a 4 week holiday a week after starting.

I use Pacey contracts so if I complete the contract to say that the parent must pay when they go on holiday do you think I can allow an exception for this 4 week holiday?

Thanks
    Personally, I've been in this situation. I didn't charge, and could have started two other children in the same period, who actually wanted more days. (It was very early on in my childminding time, and I was very skint, so I took the first child who came along.)

With hindsight, it would have been better all round if I had charged a retainer for the whole 5 weeks, then done the contract for the week they got back and actually started. They left after a few months as well. (They were a bit of a sharp family - they didn't want to admit they only wanted a short-term contract - which would have attracted a slightly higher fee with me - and the month off was them looking at alternative accommodation about 200 miles away for their next relocation move.)

I'd also find out exactly how long they want the space for. (I ask all of my families this now, as obviously, I only want the ones who are intending to stay with me for as long as possible. But that's me.)

I hope that helps.

L

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was the parent and understood this when signing the contract I would expect to pay or wait for my return to start care but if it was me as a childminder I would sit down with them and explain the terms, if they said okay great but if they were hesistant I would charge 50% to keep the contract.
    Debbie