Do I need Pacey!?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    feb 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I need Pacey!?

Hi, I have always previously taken out a joint Pacey membership and insurance. I've now just changed to M.M insurance so that I can use my own contracts. I'm wondering whether it's actually worth still getting the Pacey membership now that ive discovered this fab web site and forum. The info that Sarah Knutford has done seems to be fantastic. Every question and more seems to have been covered. What more would I need Pacey for?Thanks

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is up to you whether you feel you want to support an organisation who supports childminders and how much you value that.

I have been a member for 20 years and wouldn't ever change.

To be honest if you decide to stay a member then why would you pay MM £50 for Insurance when you get it with Pacey for less than half the price?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you use ******, professional standards, fact sheets, webinars? If no then rethink but if yes then you do
    Debbie

feb 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks but...

Thanks,but I've looked back and I had paid £50 membership +£26.29 insurance. I really want to use my own contracts as after so many years I've tweaked them and they work well for my business. I hadn't realised that pacey don't allow u to use yr own contracts,that is why I've change to m.m. Stupid error,yes I know. I've never claimed on my insurance in 12 yrs and yes I need to b more astute to the detail.(spare me the lecture,I know,I know!)
    So...now that I've changed insurance,found Sarah Neville info & this forum what do u get for yr £50 membership... exactly!!!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not a member, so have no axe to grind in that respect, but....

MM are not a trade organisation, they are an insurance company, and, particularly in light of the last 2/3 years grief childminders have been getting from government and Ofsted, I do think it's important to be a member of a trade organisation of some sort.

This forum is fantastic for us to air our views, and have a rant about things, and discover best practices, and ideas on how to run our business, find and be able to understand any changes is legislation etc etc, but Sarah, god love her, (and she knows I admire her and what she does ) is a working childminder herself, and is only responsible for her own business - I think people tend to forget that sometimes!

As an individual, we won't be listened to - the consultations proved that, and to be honest, CM responses were pretty dire considering the amount of noise everyone was making.
    We need to have people available to listen to us, to represent us and fight on our behalf in government meetings etc, Sarah can't do that, the forum, whilst is a platform for us, can't do that, but a trade association can, and does.
    Since NCMA changed names and opened up its doors to other providers, so did other associations, the PLA for instance, have been particularly vocal and certainly get my vote.

So my advice would be, to look at the different options of trade membership, research them and find out what they have done for 'you' as a CM without your membership fee, and then choose the association that you feel works hardest to represent your values and join them

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

I agree Kiddleywinks...it is really an individual choice

MM are a broker not an association and very connected to UKCMA...theirs is a profit making business
    There are other brokers who offer just PLI and no m'ship as there are businesses making money from cms...especially now the childcare market has opened and everyone wants a slice of independent CMs.

Educare are a prime example...their online courses can be accessed via various associations

PLA are a charity and association that has looked after CMs for a long time alongside many others in the Sector...recently many cms have switched to them because they like their representation and quick response via press releases on all topics of policy

Pacey is now open to all in the sector but I have never heard of what nurseries get out of the m'ship but I assume it is useful to them

None of the above are a 'trade' association
    only the Independent CM Social Enterprise is and it is solely for CMs...they do lots of work and lobby on Cms behalf and are registered with the CBI and very active on the London Ofsted Big Conversation

I agree that we are better heard as a sector not individually but I feel very strongly that we all have the right to exercise our vocal chords...write individual letters...respond to consultations individually...look and search for many websites where we get ideas and support ....and also contribute our info sharing

My personal view is that it would be unfair to say it is just one person who makes it all happen...we all make it happen and in different ways and each must be valued