Questions on Risk assessments (cat)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions on Risk assessments (cat)

Writing out my risk assessments. My friend has been childminding for ten years and gave me a copy of hers to copy/edit. under pets she just has supervision of kids when handling. I live in a flat, the cat has access to utside from the kitchen window and tends to do her 'business' out there yet we have a covered litter box for her when it is wet or when the window is shut at night. Like I said, it is covered so could a resolution be as simple as "supervision"? We have a concertina door on our kitchen so it is unlikely we could fit a gate, although a travel gate is possible if needed. Also, food and water bowls must need RA too? Do I need to comment on flea medication?

Do I need an RA for the fish tank :-/ do I RA's for things like bookcases?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My pet ra was much more indepth - think about whether the vaccinations are up to date for example , flea medication , litter and litter trays , childs access to the cat , what about the cat going in childrens cots / beds ...lots to think about!

3. Likes TabbyTuTu liked this post
    Mar 14
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Really I never through about risking the bed , but she only goes on mine she never goes on the sofa only to climb up to the window. She is a big softy but wouldn't come to you for a cuddle or sit on your lap, she stays out all day if she is in she sleeps on my bed, which my room isn't getting used only the baby's room and cat won't go in there , I made a flea and worm chart, and have my book from vets with her vaccinations in, I only leave water bowl out, would put biscuits bowl down but ofsted didn't like that, so I just feed the cat after 6pm, I risked the garden to make sure she hasn't been or no other cat has, and that's it.. Oh and cat doesn't have a tray at all

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At a guess, the risks associated with a fish tank are probably its weight if tipped over; the electrics; pointy corners; and children trying to drink from the water. Unfortunately my theory that we should try to improve the species by allowing stoopid people (eg. those who want to drink fish tank water) to remove themselves from the gene pool before they ever get chance to breed is not a fashionable one.

I'd say the ideal would be to ensure it is on a stable base; that the electrics are in good order and regularly serviced; and keep lo's at a safe distance.
    Last edited by bunyip; 14-08-2014 at 06:37 AM.

6. Likes mum67, TabbyTuTu, Daisy De liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

The fish tank is on a high shelf in kids room/playroom, no chance of it tipping over and the kids would have to be quite inventive to be able to get the lid off to drink water - I have to get my husband to feed them as there isn't much space between the lid and the shelf above.

Catwise - Crikey, had her for six years but believe she has only ever had the first injections as a kitten? She has flea stuff every four weeks but again never had an issue or even thought about worms! She isn't allowed in bedrooms so that isn't a problem, she stays out most days only to return at dinner but with weather getting backendish she will probably spend her time on the back of the armchair.. Oh these RAs are fun >_< I may start feeding her breakfast and night instead of leaving dry out for her. Hopefully having a covered litter tray will be alright and to be honest, my own kids have never had a problem because, bizarrely enough, I supervise them!! They know they are only allowed in the kitchen with me, and I can't see it taking too long for my childminded kids to understand this either.