Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Renewing policies annually

Evening all, hope you are all having a lovely Easter
    I am wondering if I have to renew all policies annually, even the not so important one's
    Can anyone tell me please?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's good practice to review them at least annually, or when something changes. Once you've reviewed it you don't necessarily need to change anything if it's still valid, just note that you have reviewed it

3. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rick, I didn't consider having to renew them when I was on a roll spieling off policies left right and centre and all the extra work they would bring a year later!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My experience of Ofsted is that they ask about policy review....but never read them.
    Just write at the bottom ' reviewed ........ ' for most and perhaps a couple of changes so if asked you can say you ' reviewed and altered ....in the light of....'

That was school based, I stand corrected if CMing inspectors/ inspections are different. Time always seems an issue, they usually only look at key, safeguarding / behaviour policies.

But then I have experienced almost 30 years ..since 1984 ..of ofsteds in school but none as a childminder so not an expert in this particular field. So stand corrected if CM experience is different.

Simona Guest

A policy review is different from a policy update in my view.

All polices need to be effective and reflecting 'current practice'...so if nothing has changed we can 'review' them after reflection and date them as reviewed...once a year should be ok.

'Updating' policies happens when legislation has changed which makes them out of date...as in the Safeguarding recently because of the new DfE guidance
    Updates must be done as and when it is necessary...the one to look at updating is the SEN policy because the new Code of Practice has been passed in the Children and Family Act 2014

As of Sept 2014 all policies will probably need both reviewing and updating due to the revised EYFS...many policies will not be necessary anymore but most cms will have them anyway.

7. Likes Tulip liked this post