Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Attendance Register

Hi,

I am battling with using the NCMA Attendance register - I have lots of children on my books for short periods of time - spend so much time looking through the pages for the right child for parent to sign, I think it looks unprofessional. I have had a brief look at the MM one, which suits me better - so am thinking of setting up my own attendance register to print out - is this ok? Does anyone have any templates or ideas they would be willing to share??

Thanks

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the MM one I'm sorry. I have always used the NCMA one and if you are insured by them and there was ever a dispute they would expect to see the NCMA Attendance register.

If you have a lot of children tab the pages at the side with post its with the children's initials on.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my own, it's an A4 sheet with columns for the date, child's name, morning (split into time in and time out) and afternoon split the same as morning so it is possible to sign a child in for the morning, out when they go to school back in at 3.30 or whenever and out again at home time all on the same line.

I have all the children on the same weekly sheet and I don't get parents to sign it.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

BucksCM Guest

I was using my diary to log the in/out times, then transfering to the NCMA register (that I'd seperated and put into a file with tabs so I could find each child!...and so that I could give to the parents every few months to sign!!)
    At my last inspection (a year ago) when I showed the inspector the times in my diary next to the children's initials and then my attendance register, she looked at me and asked me why I had made more work for myself. The times I'd written in my diary(to the minute) were enough, I didn't need to then transfer them to the register. I asked her where the parents should sign it and she told me that they don't need to.
    So ever since then, I just log the in/out times in my diary...I've got an A4 one where everything goes cm related, menus, planning etc.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my own diary and record the times to the minute along with what we have done through the day and all my notes
    Crazy Crackers

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by debbiesomeone View Post
    I was using my diary to log the in/out times, then transfering to the NCMA register (that I'd seperated and put into a file with tabs so I could find each child!...and so that I could give to the parents every few months to sign!!)
    At my last inspection (a year ago) when I showed the inspector the times in my diary next to the children's initials and then my attendance register, she looked at me and asked me why I had made more work for myself. The times I'd written in my diary(to the minute) were enough, I didn't need to then transfer them to the register. I asked her where the parents should sign it and she told me that they don't need to.
    So ever since then, I just log the in/out times in my diary...I've got an A4 one where everything goes cm related, menus, planning etc.

Thanks - this is helpful. I'd like to use my diary - as I'm doing the same as you were & transferring - but always worried about Ofsted & NCMA (if there was a dispute).

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always get my parents to sign my register and always have. Ofsted don't care but I feel it is a safeguard.

It means the parents have signed to confirm their little ones were with you at those times so if there was an allegation made you can prove those times.

It means the parent has confirmed times so can avoid disputes if a parent is always early or late when you invoice them, they have signed to confirm the times their child has been with you.

Also, as I found last year, when a complaint is made against you and a parent tells Ofsted you were always late collecting from school and didn't tell the parent, you have a signed register that not only demonstrates you indeed weren't late but because the parent has signed it every week you are showing that you have indeed told them. (the complaint was money driven and it was not upheld).

I would always advise that the parents sign to confirm attendance. You never know as I found out, when you might be glad you did.

Feb 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a hairdressers/beauty appointment book it has 8 columns and the day is broken down into 15min slots so i can put when they arrive and depart, this is the best thing i have found as i used to get fed up with the ncma one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I use my own, it's an A4 sheet with columns for the date, child's name, morning (split into time in and time out) and afternoon split the same as morning so it is possible to sign a child in for the morning, out when they go to school back in at 3.30 or whenever and out again at home time all on the same line.

I have all the children on the same weekly sheet and I don't get parents to sign it.

Miffy xx
    Sounds very similar to mine!!

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just started (trialing) Penny's system which is to have a A5 diary/notebook for each child which records toa and any observations or activities during the day and is signed on pick up (which is recorded). Signing also shows agreement that they have had a chance to discuss the things recorded that day.
    I like the transparency of this system, sharing it with parents and think ofsted will too. I agree - the NCMA book was driving me mad.

Poundland is currently selling two for a pound so I got ten this week.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using one sheet per week and then transferring the details to the individual sheets (all 24 of them) and now I am wondering what the advantages are in this. The only thing I can think of is if the police or courts wanted the data for a child protection/custody case but could I then just write the details they want out then.

So can we use one sheet or not and has anyone had any queries of this with Ofsted?

Really need to shorten my day of paperwork.

All answers on a post card please.....
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    I have been using one sheet per week and then transferring the details to the individual sheets (all 24 of them) and now I am wondering what the advantages are in this. The only thing I can think of is if the police or courts wanted the data for a child protection/custody case but could I then just write the details they want out then.

So can we use one sheet or not and has anyone had any queries of this with Ofsted?

I have always used just one sheet with all children on it - never been questioned by Ofsted. Also the Nursery I take/collect from also have just one sheet with all children due on each day listed for parents/cm's etc to sign in/out!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post

I've always used one sheet for all the children. My Ofsted inspector had no problem with it and she went through my records with a fine tooth comb.

As far as the courts go, I imagine if they wanted to see your records you would just reproduce those that refer to the child so everyone elses details would be blocked out.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!