Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default risk assessments

hi you wonderful people, would just like to ask about RA for activities, do you need one for each activity? could i do a general one for say cooking, which would cover making playdough making cakes, pizza, helping to make the snack/ sanwiches ect, can i do one for messy play which would cover glueing and sticking activities mud water and sand play ect and then a ra for construction play to cover, lego mobilo duplo ect, these of course will need to be very in depth to cover several activities in one form or do i really need an RA for every activity we do, which could be many and much paperwork, thank you for your advice in advance

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have general ones - so one for cooking, one for outside play and all the toys, one for crafts etc.

Then when things change or there's a new child I go back to them and make sure they are still right.

Hth

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I didnt know!!!
    I thought we only had to do risk assessments for outings, school runs, trips in car etc, not for each minor activity we do?? Is this an Ofsted requirement please Sarah?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have them for each activity and I got outstanding for mine in my inspection. I cover things like being aware of certain resources being age appropriate and needing adult supervision etc but not any for specific activities such as craft or cooking etc.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CH1957 View Post
    I thought we only had to do risk assessments for outings, school runs, trips in car etc, not for each minor activity we do?? Is this an Ofsted requirement please Sarah?
    It is a requirement of the current Eyfs that the risk assessments cover (I quote) -

'anything with which a child may come into contact.'

So yes outings RAs are really important but also your house, garden, toys, activities etc.

You should constantly be aware of risks - if you do a general one you can add to it when things change.

Hth

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1957 View Post
    I didn't know this either - I don't have any for my activities - I just use (shock!) common sense and close supervision Ofsted didn't pull me up on it, but knowing how inconsistent they are I had better get on and do them......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Milli147 View Post
    I didn't know this either - I don't have any for my activities - I just use (shock!) common sense and close supervision Ofsted didn't pull me up on it, but knowing how inconsistent they are I had better get on and do them......
    You were lucky, I know someone who was given this as a recommendation at her inspection. As you said, it shows how inconsistent inspectors are

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    You were lucky, I know someone who was given this as a recommendation at her inspection. As you said, it shows how inconsistent inspectors are

Miffy xx
    Yep, instead she recommended closer links with other settings. I only had one at another setting, and she'd only started the week before! So, ummm...sorry but the pre school probably didn't even know who she was yet!!!! Give me a chance....