Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lifting and Handling Policy

Hi,

Does anyone have a policy or procedure on Lifting and Handling children and equipment that you would be willing to share for me to have a look at. I've got a question about it for my NVQ and it said refer to own policy. I haven't got one Should I?

Thanks in advance

sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I had to do a manual handling policy for my nvq. I just put that it is in my best interest to lift children correctly to reduce the risk of work associated back problems. i then said how I would do it ( keep back straight, feet slightly apart, bend knees, lift slowly, not twist). As you can see its a very short policy

Pipsqueak Guest

Nope - seeing as its just me working for little old me i trust myself to be sensible and rational about moving, lifting and handling...

I am not writing a policy for writings sake

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Nope - seeing as its just me working for little old me i trust myself to be sensible and rational about moving, lifting and handling...

"sensible and rational" and Pipsqueak in the same sentance? No I dont get it!!!
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    "sensible and rational" and Pipsqueak in the same sentance? No I dont get it!!!
    witch!

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

witch!
    Oh no not your pussy again
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    Oh no not your pussy again
    now now its only Tuesday

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

What do u mean you have no policy, what happens if u suddenly forget how to pick up a child and your walking along holding him by the leg with his head bouncing of the ground!!!!, lol. I can't believe they think we need a written policy on this,completely mad in my opinion. X

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nikki thomson View Post
    What do u mean you have no policy, what happens if u suddenly forget how to pick up a child and your walking along holding him by the leg with his head bouncing of the ground!!!!, lol. I can't believe they think we need a written policy on this,completely mad in my opinion. X
    what you aren't supposed to head bang them like that? pooooooo I did wonder why people kept looking at me strangely.

Pipsqueak Guest

and I am a rebellious old bat.. I haven't even attended a moving and handling course.... so many of my local colleagues think they are the bees knees because they have been on this course and they 'refresh' every few months - I'm like durrrrrrrrrrr

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I was paniking thinking I should have a policy on this. Like you said It's just common sense on how you lift children and things like high chairs, bending down to change nappies etc.

I will just write what I do and how I make sure I'm being kind to my back lol

Pipsqueak Guest

On a serious note though - I would explore it if I had an older child who was perhaps immobile or needed moving and handling for instance because they were disabled.

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

and I am a rebellious old bat.. I haven't even attended a moving and handling course.... so many of my local colleagues think they are the bees knees because they have been on this course and they 'refresh' every few months - I'm like durrrrrrrrrrr
    When we did our first aid the lady that runs it was doing a lifting and handling course and was handing out leaflets about it, me and my friend were like no way she's just thought this up it to get more money out of us i think it was like £30 but now I know other people do it to, I have no idea what it's all about?!!! Is it me or is it just not common sense?!!!. X

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bexboo1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was paniking thinking I should have a policy on this. Like you said It's just common sense on how you lift children and things like high chairs, bending down to change nappies etc.

I will just write what I do and how I make sure I'm being kind to my back lol
    we ALL know we should bend our knees and keep our back straight blah blah when lifting, get two people to lift heavy things... however the reality is...

we are (for the most part) women who stop at home - hoiking around children of varying ages, sizes and weights, balance an upset toddler and jiggle the baby on each hip, we need to shift toys and equipment around, push heavy double/triple buggies up hills... yada yada yada...... life doesn't stop because we don't have a second person around or because the toddler is to heavy to pick up,
    we swing round awkwardly to stop little max diving of the sofa and so on.....

yes it common sense that and bottles of radox, heat pads, 'brufen tablets and massages! lol

Post Thanks / Like

No lifting and handling policy here either - writing about it won't make me do it any better Am at the age where I need to watch my back now anyway so am quite careful who and what I lift.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a life. I don't have a policy or have I been on a course. I suppose if I was to take on a Disabled child who was wheel chair bound and had to be helped onto a chair etc I would need to know how to help properly but in 17 years I haven't felt deprived for not having done this.

We didn't have to do that bit on our Level 3 only the settings did it.

To the OP there is some information here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/search/results...%3Akous-jano68

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

We didn't have to do that bit on our Level 3 only the settings did it.
    I didn't do it for my NVQ 3 either.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!