How do you do your Emergency contacts
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    toddlers896 Guest

Default How do you do your Emergency contacts

Hi
    Ime just looking for ideas about how do do my emergency contacts. Ive been looking online and I see you can buy cards for parents, children and of course ourselves. Ime just thinking what would be the cheapest and easiest way round this as its never ending.

Thanks
    Tracy

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Make your own, much cheaper. Just use word, print them out onto card and laminate if you want to, you can personalise them and include information that you choose.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's actually worth checking that the numbers do actually 'work', almost like a dry run. Particularly the numbers of friends or grandparents who might be listed as emergency contacts. It's very easy to make mistakes when filling in the contracts and record forms...one of my mums gave me her phone number with an extra digit and never even realised. It was only when I rang her to check that she realised her mistake.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just use a very small notebook which will fit in my trouser pocket. its a spiral one so I can remove pages when I need to. Each page has the first name and dob of the child (no surname). Then no name just mum, dad drandad etc and their numbers. Also have info such as a hospital number (one of my mindees needs me to carry this) and any allergies. I also cross reference to show siblings and if a parent is deceased (sad I know but this has happened to me).

As an extra to reduce paperwork my hubby has usefully scanned the consent for emergency medical treatment in to my phone as a picture for each child. As I always carry my phone its great and so long as you password your phone its completely confidential.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a little photo album.

Each slot has two A4 pieces of paper, folded into 1/4 size.

1st has a photo of child, with name, dob, parents name and contact numbers, any medical information.
    2nd is the permission for emergency treatment / advise

At the front is a message page that I am a childminder and that the children are not my own, and emergency information for myself.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I printed the details out - stuck photos of the children on, laminated them and carry them in my first aid kit which goes everywhere with me.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a little photo album which is 3" x 4" (7cm x 10cm).

I keep it with me at all time when I am out and as the children get older they know I have my phone and blue book and that their mummy and daddies phone numbers are in it. I think this is important in case anything happened to me. I also think you need something that the emergency services would find, not something locked on a phone that if you were unconscious they wouldn't be able to access.

I have a photo of me and my children and emergency contact details for me and which school and a phone number for my son.

I then have a photo of each child with their name, DOB, parents numbers and the times and days they would normally be in my care.

2nd page has doctors details and number, NHS number, any allergies, first aid and to seek medical aid permission which is signed by the parent and emergency contact names and numbers.

3rd page had a list of all my permissions again signed by the parent.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by winstonian View Post
    I printed the details out - stuck photos of the children on, laminated them and carry them in my first aid kit which goes everywhere with me.
    Would someone not be more likely to check your handbag or pockets in an emergency rather thaan your First Aid Kit?

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i use home made little black cards with contacts printed on a white paper sheet, stuck with a glue stick

They are small enough to keep in my first aid box which is ALWAYS in teh basket of my buggy
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Would someone not be more likely to check your handbag or pockets in an emergency rather thaan your First Aid Kit?
    I was thinking that too. I just thought that the emergency contacts were on a piece of paper in the first aid kit at home, i wasnt thinking about being out and about. This is getting more confusing.
    I was going to get emergency cards for the parents, one for the child and one for me but i dont know if thats enough now

Tracy

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trac896 View Post
    I was thinking that too. I just thought that the emergency contacts were on a piece of paper in the first aid kit at home, i wasnt thinking about being out and about. This is getting more confusing.
    I was going to get emergency cards for the parents, one for the child and one for me but i dont know if thats enough now

Tracy
    I carry the book around with me whenever we are out.

I have a sealed envelope on my hall table with:
    1. a grid showing which child is with me which days and what hours
    2. a copy of each childs information form
    3. a photograph of the child with their parent/carer and a picture of anyone else who regularly collects them.

It is then clearly visible for anyone from the emergency services or for my emergency childminder if they need to take over in an emergency.

Why would this be in a First Aid Kit no one would think to look there and you are the one who is most likely to use your First Aid Kit and you don't need the info.

For the parents I do a laminated credit card sized card so it will fit in their wallet with my mobile on, my dh mobile in case of emergency,and the names and addresses of my three emergency carers in case they have to go to their house to collect lo. They are given the same details plus a photo of the emergency carers in their Parent Folder when they sign a contract with me.

The children wear a small wrist strap with the fact they are with their childminder and with my mobile on.

This is all I do. Ofsted were more than happy when I was inspected in Sept.

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I carry the book around with me whenever we are out.

I have a sealed envelope on my hall table with:
    1. a grid showing which child is with me which days and what hours
    2. a copy of each childs information form
    3. a photograph of the child with their parent/carer and a picture of anyone else who regularly collects them.

It is then clearly visible for anyone from the emergency services or for my emergency childminder if they need to take over in an emergency.

Why would this be in a First Aid Kit no one would think to look there and you are the one who is most likely to use your First Aid Kit and you don't need the info.

For the parents I do a laminated credit card sized card so it will fit in their wallet with my mobile on, my dh mobile in case of emergency,and the names and addresses of my three emergency carers in case they have to go to their house to collect lo. They are given the same details plus a photo of the emergency carers in their Parent Folder when they sign a contract with me.

The children wear a small wrist strap with the fact they are with their childminder and with my mobile on.

This is all I do. Ofsted were more than happy when I was inspected in Sept.
    I like the sound of how you work. I agree with the first aid kit. Why would anybody look there. Where did you get the wrist bands from?

Thanks
    Tracy

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the sound of how you work. I agree with the first aid kit. Why would anybody look there. Where did you get the wrist bands from?

Thanks
    Tracy
    well I am always with the buggy. If I keel over, someone would normally check your bag - I don't carry a handbag the only thing on my buggy is nappies, clothes change and a first aid box.

EMergency services are not daft, they go through your stuff if needed
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just have a small laminated card, saying the children with me may not be my own, and my emergency childminders number on it. She has an up to date record of what children I mind on what days, their medical info ect...
    Thinking this may not be enough now!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Tracy

They are the old style NCMA ones in dayglo orange, they don't make them anymore so i guard the ones I have with my life!!! They are plastic and flexible and slot back into the band to adjust if you see what |I mean and have a pocket on them that you slip your details in. I find they are ideal for little wrists and not hard and uncomfortable.

I'm sure you would be able to find something similar on Ebay.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually have some medical conditions myself so I have a laminated piece of card in my purse (in the window bit for photos) it basically says my name, the fact I am a CM and that if there are any children with me they may be CM children and their info can be found attached to them or in their pocket and some other personal info.

The cards the children have, have my name at the top, their names, parents details, emergency contacts, doctors details and if they have allergies or not... My own child have the same but just minus the CM part. I punched a hole in the corner and use one of them belt clip things so I can put it on and take it off easily. The writting is pretty small so people would actually have to get up close to read it so no one can just "see" the info.