Advise needed ASAP
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advise needed ASAP

I have a parent for whom I look after two children L is 15 month and F is 2 1/2. I posted about parent arrving 10/15 mins early everyday and bit the bullet tonight and spoke with her. Basically parent is usually late for work even when dropping off at mine at 6.50am so I have said we can look at the contract and perhaps review some of the times. Also my son is 3 and will be starting playschool in Jan 3 sessions per week. I explained to parent about my son and she said she would like her son to start as well. I explained that because F is not yet three he does not qualify for a funded place and will need to pay £12.50 per session. At first parent said she was happy to pay me and the playschool. Anyway this evening when talking about the contract parent mentioned about needing to change it anyway because of her son starting playschool and pay me and them may be a bit too much.

I was thinking of changing the contract to a 6.45am drop off and charging half an hour extra for unsociable hours. However when it comes to playschool I will still be responsible for F, hours of playschool are 9.15 to 12.15 I will be taking F and picking up. How is best to charge? Leave it full pay because it is such a short time period? Charge 1/2 rate for 3 hours? Charge 1 hour for drop off and 1 hour for pick up?

Just to add I already give a discount per hour, and 2 for 1 on the meals. This was my first parent and I have the children 50 hours a week. I know my rates are better than anywhere else but how is best to go forward. I cannot afford to lose any more money

sep-09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me like the parent has a brilliant deal and knows it unfortantly it also sounds like they have got into the mind set that they can push the prices around.

Personally Id be charging when the child is in preschool Im asuming youll be having them in the holidays, snow days and days preschool is closed? Therefore you will need to keep a space for them therefore you will need some money coming in.

I do wonder if you agree a new deal with this parent what this parent will be asking for next.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge when mindees are at pre school as there have been times when i have been called by pre school to collect when child was unwell
    As i can get there quicker than a parent who works in london
    I tell parents Im on stand by and they are happy to pay

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ja8estar View Post
    I charge when mindees are at pre school as there have been times when i have been called by pre school to collect when child was unwell
    As i can get there quicker than a parent who works in london
    I tell parents Im on stand by and they are happy to pay
    I was talking to another childminder friend about this and that is the exact same point I made as parent works in london and I am 10 mins away from playschool. Also another point is that F does not actually NEED to start playschool, it can wait until funded like I did.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you are already giving this parent a good deal and I would think carefully before offering any more discounts.

I charge when children are at playgroup whether they are getting their place funded or not because I cannot fill my space for those few hours the child is not using it.

Parent may well change her mind about sending the child if she knows she will have to pay you and the preschool.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for you replies I have thought about this long and hard I have even written down how much I would charge her if she had no discounts whatsoever and how much I actually charge her.

I am going to up the charge anyway because of the extra 15 mins in the morning and because it is before 7am I am going to charge 30 mins. I will also continue to charge while at playschool for all the above reasons.

The only problem is I feel soooo guilty when telling people what they owe me. I think I may write it in a letter with a full explaination and breakdown of costs. Then offer to have her over one evening to discuss any thing else. I will not budge on the fee though I worked out that she get in excess £££ in discount each month

Post Thanks / Like

I think discussing fees is one of the hardest parts of this job but as you say mum is already getting a hefty discount and now she wants extra hours you have to charge her for them!

I think itemising it in a letter is a good idea - make sure you also point out the discounts she is already receiving - and then asking her to discuss it later keeps it friendly and business-like.

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are taking and picking up I would be charging full fees because you can not fill those hours.

It is her decision if she can afford to pay a preschool as well,

You should not lose money because she wants to send him early and I think if you make any reductions she will keep asking for more and more.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear X
    I am writing with regards to our discussion on Monday 21st October about changes to our original contract.

I am willing to amend the contract from a 7am drop off to 6.45am drop off. This additional 15 minutes will be charged at double time (£X) for the unsociable hours. Your daily rate not including food will now be £X. I will keep food at the same rate as 2 for 1 (please also note the additional discount to the dinner from £X to £X). Therefore one week’s fee will now be £X.

With regards to X hours whilst at playschool, I will still be charging the normal standard fee as I will not be able to fill this space and I will still be responsible for X care during this time if for any reason the playschool are unable to have him due to sickness*/closure/holidays etc.

As for payment date changes there are several options we have. They are as follows:

1. Keep the payment date as stated in the current contract. The last working day of each month, with my holidays already deducted the new fee would be £X
    2. Move the date to the 23rd of each month with keeping the same arrangement as above (deducting my holiday in advance for a regular payment). 3 weeks in arrears and 1 week in advance.
    3. To be billed on the 16th of each month and payment to be made by 23rd. My holiday will not be charged. Any holiday or bank holidays you take off will charged at the standard rate. Holiday dates for both parties will need to be submitted in January no later than the 10th for the period leading up to and including July and 1st – 10th August, then from August submitted no later than the 10th leading to up to and including December and 1st – 10th January

We can discuss payment date options further and ensure both parties are 100% happy with the new agreement.

I am happy to continue our current arrangement including charges and 6.50am drop off until 31st December 2011 and begin the new agreement on 1st January 2012. Please see below a breakdown of amended charges for 2012. This also includes a non-discounted breakdown.

Kind Regards

Emma Reed

Discounted Fee
    £X for 2 children
    £X breakfast
    £X lunch
    £X dinner
    2 for 1 on food

£Xx10.5hrs=£X per day for care
    £X+£X+£X= £X per day for food
    £X x 5 days=£X per week

£X per month on current arrangement

Standard Fee
    £X per child (£2.50 for sibling)
    £X Breakfast
    £X Lunch
    £X Dinner

(£X + £X) x 10.5hrs = £X per day for care
    (£X+£X+£X) x2=£X per day for food
    £7X x 5 days= £X per week

£X per month on current arrangement

*Sickness-If I need to collect Finlay due to sickness I will call you the first instance I can and you will be required to collect him from my setting

How does this sound? The discounts are side by side in a text box? I hate doing this I feel guilty.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid I would not collect a sick child and bring them into my setting, nor would I from school.

It is the parents responsibility to collect the child or make suitable arrangements, grandparent or friend. If they are too sick for pre-school, they are too sick to be with me.

Sorry I can't comment on your fees except they seem very complicated. I charge full fee if I am taking to and collecting from pre-school. I include all meals in my hourly rate because I can't be bothered to work out all the ramifications if I don't lol. I would ammend this parents hours and charge my hourly rate for them again I can't be bothered to charge a higher rate just because care is earlier or later.

I have always tried to keep fees as simple as possible.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 22-11-2011 at 12:30 PM.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Just let everyone know what parent agreed to new terms etc and even offered to start paying new rate now, but I feel totally awful doing that so will be all sorted in January contract... Phew she was actually very pleasant about it, perhaps maybe showing the difference in the discounted and non-discounted prices helped

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

well done for sticking to your guns.

Glad it worked out well for you .

best wishes, Wendy