Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Haz Chem signs?

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Haz Chem signs?

Do I have to display a haz chem sign for any chemicals I use, ie for daily cleaning? I'm sure they said i did on the ICP course. my current bottle doesn't have a symbol.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

that would be appropriate if you had staff but as its just kids allchemicals are out of reach.
    Maybe useful to have a small one folded in first aid, as an identifier maybe but its a different situation to have it on view. not that i have, but if you are concerned.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Please don't loose sight of the fact that you are a home based carer working in your own home. You do not have to plaster your home with posters and signs. It is your home.

I dont even have my Reg Cert up All the time, its on a cork board that sits on a side table in my hall, I'm on holiday this week and its hidden away. All my cm stuff can be put away or taken down very easily. Ofsted don't expect to see loads of stuff plastered everywhere because it is your home.

Penny1959 Guest

Agree totally with Rickysmiths

If in doubt about what is needed - read the EYFS and the Ofsted fact sheets, a lot of things that are said to be 'must have' in fact are not and are rumours spread by others - who either say so in fear of missing out something or because have no idea what the EYFS says. When it says must be displayed at all times - it means when you are working - ie when children are attending.

When I did my course my tutor had never even worked with the EYFS and had no idea of the current requirements or the latest documents / guidance from Ofsted or the local authority. I was horrified and (due to my previous job as a DO and asNCMA staff) spent the whole course filling in information - in fact the tutor would say 'Penny - do you want to give this information?'

Re your specific question - no you do not have to display a sign - with household cleaners - just store in the original container (all information required in case of accident should be on the container) and keep out of reach of the children.

Penny

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    Agree totally with Rickysmiths

If in doubt about what is needed - read the EYFS and the Ofsted fact sheets, a lot of things that are said to be 'must have' in fact are not and are rumours spread by others - who either say so in fear of missing out something or because have no idea what the EYFS says. When it says must be displayed at all times - it means when you are working - ie when children are attending.

When I did my course my tutor had never even worked with the EYFS and had no idea of the current requirements or the latest documents / guidance from Ofsted or the local authority. I was horrified and (due to my previous job as a DO and asNCMA staff) spent the whole course filling in information - in fact the tutor would say 'Penny - do you want to give this information?'

Re your specific question - no you do not have to display a sign - with household cleaners - just store in the original container (all information required in case of accident should be on the container) and keep out of reach of the children.

Penny
    This is interesting. My CYPW tutor has told me we all have to have COSHH sheets and that some CMs have been marked down because they didn't have them. Knowing this to be poop (I thought) I checked in the text book and in there it says the same thing: ALL settings have to have COSHH sheets. This is a requirement of HSE not Ofsted.

I contacted HSE a week ago to get the word from them but they have not gotten back to me yet...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is no requirement in the Eyfs to display signs or have COSHH sheets.

Childminders follow 'safer food better business for childminders' and that does not have a requirement for us to have them either.

Settings where staff are employed follow different food hygiene requirements and do need them.

Hth

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    There is no requirement in the Eyfs to display signs or have COSHH sheets.

Childminders follow 'safer food better business for childminders' and that does not have a requirement for us to have them either.

Settings where staff are employed follow different food hygiene requirements and do need them.

Hth
    Agree with Sarah - if you employ staff things are different.

Text books tend to cover all situations - but it is not the text book that you are registered under!

Of course you may choose to do many 'extras' that are not required under EYFS - just don't feel that you must if don't want to.

Penny

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i taught on the back of bottles has the coshh for domestic cleaning products etc.
    CWR

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    This is interesting. My CYPW tutor has told me we all have to have COSHH sheets and that some CMs have been marked down because they didn't have them. Knowing this to be poop (I thought) I checked in the text book and in there it says the same thing: ALL settings have to have COSHH sheets. This is a requirement of HSE not Ofsted.

I contacted HSE a week ago to get the word from them but they have not gotten back to me yet...
    I would think this is only a requirement in a daycare/nursery settings etc as you would be purchasing cleaning supplies from a commercial supplier who by law has to provide you with COSHH Sheets. In the home you are only purchasing from a supermarket.
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CC 4's & 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Please don't loose sight of the fact that you are a home based carer working in your own home. You do not have to plaster your home with posters and signs. It is your home.
    100% agree
    Me x