Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with terminating a contract

Hello,
    I don't know if someone can help me I've only been childminding a month. My first client is a child who has not yet been diagnosed but is suspected autistic and is 5. I have him from an after school club overnight and then all day one weekend day.
    However, they just didn't turn up last week they were coming direct to my house and after leaving numerous phone messages I got an excuse that the mum's other daughters child was ill and had to go away but hadn't thought to ring me.
    I've got a 1 year old and 3 year old and this child is quite disruptive and requires a lot of time and energy.
    I have now got a lot more work during the week and don't think I'll be able to cope with half my weekend childminding as well.
    Should I carry on until the end of the settling in period and then say it's not working out or should I tell them up front now and walk away from it.

Any advice would be most appreciated

Amy

may 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default termination

Hi,
    The settling in period is there for this type of situation, I would suggest that you do so immediatly, the parent may be under pressure with this child but they obviously do not appreciate you

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

a lot of stress & un necessary pressure put on you. I would go back to whats agreed in the contract and write to the parent. good luck
    CWR

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do it now in the settling in period, then you do not have to give notice.

And if someone cannot even be bothered to send you a text to let you know they will not be coming then i would do it today
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have they paid you for the time they missed? If not I would get the payments up-to-date and then definately give notice during the four weeks. Thats what it is there for.

All you need say is that you are sorry, but working on a Saturday is not working with your family committments. Wish them luck and tell them the names of any local minders you know that might be able to help.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Terminating Contract

Thanks Everyone,
    I haven't been paid for the time they missed and haven't heard anything from them since they didn't turn up and am supposed to be having him overnight for the first time on Friday.
    Will draft a letter now asking for payment and telling them it no longer fits in with my family.
    Quite a relief as got two little ones myself so really hard work and getting plenty of work in the week now so don't need the extra hassle.

Thanks for all your advice

Amy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amyathome View Post

Should I carry on until the end of the settling in period and then say it's not working out or should I tell them up front now and walk away from it.

Any advice would be most appreciated

Amy
    Tell them now.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would just say

'due to a change in circumstances, I am having to give x weeks notice, as per our contract. The last day of care will be xx. I wish you all the best for the future and please let me know if you need help to source contacts for alternative care.'

If they do you can just get the latest local list from FIS.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

nov09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amyathome View Post
    Thanks Everyone,
    I haven't been paid for the time they missed and haven't heard anything from them since they didn't turn up and am supposed to be having him overnight for the first time on Friday.
    Will draft a letter now asking for payment and telling them it no longer fits in with my family.
    Quite a relief as got two little ones myself so really hard work and getting plenty of work in the week now so don't need the extra hassle.

Thanks for all your advice

Amy
    maybe avoid saying it no longer fits in with your family incase of offending. i think the juggler has worded it in a good way.

good luck

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    i would just say

'due to a change in circumstances, I am having to give x weeks notice, as per our contract. The last day of care will be xx. I wish you all the best for the future and please let me know if you need help to source contacts for alternative care.'

If they do you can just get the latest local list from FIS.
    I would go with this rather than saying it doesn't fit in with your family. But do it now whilst you're in your settling in period and dont need to give weeks of notice, just say xx's last day will be dd/mm/yy (and if he's that disruptive I would be doing it today and using the last day he was in as the last day !!)