Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Registering with the ICO?

I have read somewhere childminders need to register with the Information Commissioner's Office and pay a fee to take photos on a phone or digital camera.

Speaking to other CM and nurseries in this area no one has heard of this and has told me not to waste my money.

Is there anywhere official which says we have to do this?

BuggsieMoo Guest

Yes, you could face a £50,000 fine if you do not register but take photos and videos for business use. Its worth the £35 for the year. Your early years team should be able to advise further or look at the ICO website.
    Lisa x

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LMHALL View Post
    Yes, you could face a £50,000 fine if you do not register but take photos and videos for business use. Its worth the £35 for the year. Your early years team should be able to advise further or look at the ICO website.
    Lisa x
    Is there any official document giving this guidance as very established CMs didn't know about it here.

Post Thanks / Like

There is some information here

http://www.*************/childminders/...rotection.aspx

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbonnet View Post
    Is there any official document giving this guidance as very established CMs didn't know about it here.
    The official document is the Data Protection Act. All the information about who has to register is on the ICO website or if you give them a call they will answer your phone queries. Anyone who keeps data ( in some shape or form) may need to register under this Act.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There is info on the NCMA website about it.

See here:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

See here:

Beat you to it Ricky!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    There is some information here

Miffy xx

We just posted the same thing great minds!

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

You can do a self assessment here
    http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisati...to_notify.aspx

Just looking, if I keep all personal information for mindee/parent in written format only - I don't need to register ?

If I take photo's but don't keep on phone/camera/laptop by transfering to disk or usb as soon as possible - would I need to register ?

sorry wording of their questions confuse me
    Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Louise317 View Post

Just looking, if I keep all personal information for mindee/parent in written format only - I don't need to register ?

If I take photo's but don't keep on phone/camera/laptop by transfering to disk or usb as soon as possible - would I need to register ?

Yes if you take photos... even if they are on your phone, computer or camera for a few moments... you have to register.

Hth

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louise317 View Post

Yes the minute you take the digital photo and put it on your computer it is deemed processed, even if you then delete it. definately taken on a phone because until yiu download they are stored and as most phones have internet access now you also need a Risk Assessment on how you keep the infoo/images on your phone safe, what would happen if you lost your phone/

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

...I'm losing the will...

thanks for all your replies. I can't keep up with all the things I have to do and I'm sure I'll be caught out on loads of things.

There doesn't seem to be one place to tell you exactly what to do and the frustrating thing is noone I speak to in my local childminding group knows any of this.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW

i knew u had to for computers and as i dont put nothing on it didnt bother but now there saying cameras?
    as we have to do obs etc we have to use a camera? what a way of making money!!

feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i recently had Mrs O out and she was looking at my folders and asked if i had a ICO certificate as i had photografic observations!!! i was pleased as punch to be able to say yes and produce mine!!! ( i also gave a copy to my local school as we go on lots of school trips and i print the photos for them that i take, and they are of all the children in the class!)

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiona View Post
    i recently had Mrs O out and she was looking at my folders and asked if i had a ICO certificate as i had photografic observations!!! i was pleased as punch to be able to say yes and produce mine!!! ( i also gave a copy to my local school as we go on lots of school trips and i print the photos for them that i take, and they are of all the children in the class!)
    The school should be covered in their own right. Be careful, because I think you are only covered for your own business, not other peoples,

If you are taking them for the school, I would make sure they have the written permission of the parents for you to take these pictures and process them on your home computer and not on the schools.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 11-05-2011 at 07:53 PM.

feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hello, i am also covered by the school, and i use there computer to print them and then delete them from my camera, as some of my mindees are in the class the school has a copy of mine too!!

May '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just logged onto their site where you can fill in an online application form to print out and send off to them. Wow, is it complicated!! Very very complicated. I don't know which boxes to tick on the childminder template and then on the next page there's a section about are you registering all the data you handle or just some and is some of it exempt.... Has anyone got any specific instructions for what exactly we have to fill in.

At the moment I feel I'm just totally guessing which boxes to tick and what to put about exemption. Can anyone else help? I feel I could end up with a certificate but which maybe isn't covering me as it should.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hollyberry View Post
    I've just logged onto their site where you can fill in an online application form to print out and send off to them. Wow, is it complicated!! Very very complicated. I don't know which boxes to tick on the childminder template and then on the next page there's a section about are you registering all the data you handle or just some and is some of it exempt.... Has anyone got any specific instructions for what exactly we have to fill in.

At the moment I feel I'm just totally guessing which boxes to tick and what to put about exemption. Can anyone else help? I feel I could end up with a certificate but which maybe isn't covering me as it should.
    Its actually easier to ring them, they fill in all the papaer work for you and then just send it to you to sign

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I called the ico yesterday as I heard about and but wanted to make sure before I just paid for it and

Yes

If we take photos in any format we have to be registered. Yet another cost but I'd rather pay the 30 odd pound than have a huge fine

Hopefully there will be a time I don't have to spend
    Crazy Crackers

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

See here:

Just wondering, the NCMA website talks about digital photos, so would I be correct in assuming that you do not need to register if using a polariod instant camera which is not digital?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast