Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default odd days before contracts signed

Hi Everyone

I haven't been on for a while but i need some really urgent advise from you lovely people.

Last July the little boy i cared for full time for 3 years left me to go to school. His mum was also pregnant at the time and wanted me to hold the space for her new baby to start after easter this year. I exlained i wouldn't hold it without a retainer but she was not prepared to pay and said she would take the chance that i would have the place.

I have kept in contact with them and in October they said the definately wanted the place but couldn't afford a retainer.
    I agreed to keep it for them as they are a lovely family and i would much prefer to work with them again than start out with someone new.

Anyway we met up in February and mum told me that Dad had lost his job so unless he found a new one quick, they wouldn't need me to start at easter as planned. I had planned that day to get a deposit taken but she gave me such a sob story of how they had no money that i couldn't ask for one. Dad did manage to find a job and my start date was put back to 9th May (today) but there has been a lot of delays with all the financial and police checks he needs to have for the job that i have still not started with them and they are unable to give me a definate start date. They have been very apologetic but that doesn't really cover my bills.

I have just had a phone call from Dad asking me to have the baby for one day next week whilst he goes on a course and also a couple of hours this Friday just to settle her in a little bit. I have agreed to do this and i will charge for the full day but i have just thought that i don't have a contract or child record forms completed and cant really do that until i know a start date and the hours they need.
    So what im really asking after all the babble is, can i have the baby for one day plus a couple of hours without contracts. I do have all there contact information in case of emergency etc.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I won't work without contract, permissions and 'all about me' forms.

Parents should fill them in... just put them on a temporary contract or settling in and complete the rest when you know the hours / days etc.

Good luck

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree with Sarah I would complete a temporary contract to cover the days required.

I provide ad hoc care if space is available and all parents fill in the same paperwork as full time children whether only one day is needed or one day a week. Only difference is the type of contract. The good point for them is that they will have filled in the paperwork when they want the child to start properly.
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate