Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Giving notice

Registered Childminder since
    May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Giving notice

I have a parent who has been fine up until now. Always paid on time, took the mick a bit but he was my first mindee so I was rather accomodating. However now, I simply don't have the space to mess about with days and she is not happy about paying a retainer for half a day as she works alternate shifts on a Thursday. Anyway she asked if I could have him on another day and I said no as I have a baby and another child due to start, so no space. Apparently she has looked up my profile and questioned why I can't have him as it says I still have a full time space. At this point I was fuming and she then said she was now looking for a live in nanny as it was too stressful working out childcare round her 12 hour shifts. So I have decided to give notice. Any ideas about what I should include to cover everything - it's the first time I have had to do this.

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giving notice

Just a short and to the point letter is best, no need to go into details of reason for termination.
    Dear..........,
    Unfortunately, due to a change of circumstance, I am unable to continue care of............ As per our contract I formally give 4 weeks notice to terminate the childcare arrangement, the last day of care being...........
    I enclose a final invoice which includes the notice period.
    If you are claiming Tax Credits it is your responsibility to inform them that I have ceased to care for.........
    Yours Sincerely
    etc etc

Good luck
    Chin up
    Carol xx

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol M View Post
    Just a short and to the point letter is best, no need to go into details of reason for termination.
    Dear..........,
    Unfortunately, due to a change of circumstance, I am unable to continue care of............ As per our contract I formally give 4 weeks notice to terminate the childcare arrangement, the last day of care being...........
    I enclose a final invoice which includes the notice period.
    If you are claiming Tax Credits it is your responsibility to inform them that I have ceased to care for.........
    Yours Sincerely
    etc etc

Good luck
    Chin up
    Carol xx

Good advice from Carol - I would add after final invoice bit - date when final payment due.

Penny

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Carol. The best way is to be concise and to the point. You dont actually have to offer parents a full explanation, just as long as you have served the correct notice and a brief line, i.e Due to personal circumstances I can no longer care for CHILD A etc......
    good luck, it is hard, Ive only ever had to do it once and it was not very nice.

Aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done it twice - not nice but necessary in both instances. Letter above ticks all the boxes

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to jump in on this thread but what do you do when you have given notice and the parent turns rude and funny with you.

Penny1959 Guest

Stay professional - be polite - carry on with your job and try not to become involved in making remarks back. Remember won't be long before don't have to speak to parent again.

Find someone you can let off steam to when parent really getting to you.

Penny

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cherie View Post
    Sorry to jump in on this thread but what do you do when you have given notice and the parent turns rude and funny with you.
    I have in my contracts that I will never tolerate rude, abusive or threatening behaviour from a child or carer towards me, my family or my other mindees or families. If this ever happens then I reserve the right to terminate the contract with no notice in oder to safeguard everyone. The normal notice payment will still be due in these circumstances.

I know it seems harsh but I had 12yr old behave like this and within months a parent who didn't want to pay a notice period.

It seems funny now but it wasn't at the time. The parent came to pay me on a Sat morning, didn't want her near mindees. She came in and started to verbally attack me, she then threw the cash in my face and continued to be very very rude, she was trying to make me react, which I had no intention of doing, in the way she wanted anyway!. We (dh was with me) discovered that her friend was outside our front door trying to record everything on her mobile. Well all she got was her friend being very abusive. I was in tears when she left though.

I have never been treated like this before or since. This mum seemed sweetness and light at first but what a nasty piece of work she really was and I had bent over backwards to accommodate her odd shift patterns as well. It just goes to show. So I added the clause to my Contracts.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

well I have done the letter and invoice. Just waiting for her to turn up now. Feeling slightly nervous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KarenM View Post
    well I have done the letter and invoice. Just waiting for her to turn up now. Feeling slightly nervous.
    Good luck. Try not to worry and just keep it professional - if mum kicks off, remind her there are children present and ask her to leave, don't get drawn into an argument.

Let us know how it goes

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I handed her notice and she was fine. But she doesn't want him to leave, she wants another person to help out with childcare when I can't do it. I said this was not clear and it sounded like she wanted to replace me. She apologised and said she was just stressed from trying to work out childcare on the days I couldn't do. So we'll see.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I handed her notice and she was fine. But she doesn't want him to leave, she wants another person to help out with childcare when I can't do it. I said this was not clear and it sounded like she wanted to replace me. She apologised and said she was just stressed from trying to work out childcare on the days I couldn't do. So we'll see.
    well stick to your guns hon, if she is causing you too much stress but sounds like she might now calm down a bit.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently she was quite upset, so have said we will renegotiate the terms of her contract.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds positive - perhaps you could help her find another cm.

Hope it works out now

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

glad it worked out more positively but be wary

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, think she may be more respectful now to the service I provide and how important it is, lol.