Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Own forms / contracts ??

Those of you who are with Morton Michel, do you use your own paperwork, MM's or NCMA's ?

I changed to MM in January and am wondering what to do x I currently use an NMCA aqccident / incident book and contracts but find them very confusing and long worded, are the MM ones simler ?
    Also can you photocopy the MM ones as they look like they are loose rather than being part of a book ?

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Own forms / contracts ??

I've always done my own forms for everything - that way I never run out of anything!

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with MM and have all my own paperwork, I find it easier, more personal and can put in what I want. I too found the MM contract far too long winded.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have my own paperwork.

MM paperwork is quite good but like funemax I find it easier to print off what I need when I need it

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you use your own contracts too Sarah? I have just changed to mm and am still deciding whether to use their contract or not.

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mm paperwork as I got it in the free starter pack from surestart. I like the contracts but will be writing my own when I run out as it makes it more personal to your setting hth

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies x

When you first start to write your own contracts do you use mm or ncma ones to get an idea of what needs to be on ? I really like the idea of doing my own but am worried that i wouldnt include everything and that they wouldnt stand leagally x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that's a very good idea.

Just be aware of copyright when you make your own

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Sarah x

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've just made my own this week as I find the MM ones tend to repeat a lot of what I have in my permission form or just weren't relevant. I get to try them out on Monday.

Do you all just print 2 copies and get parents to sign both and they keep one?
    Paula

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That is what I would do x

I think I just worry that they would not stand legally if I dont put all the correct wording in, or do they stand so long as both myself and the parents have signed them ?

Im really tempted as I need to do a new contract next week x

Feb 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never used NCMA documents as I have always felt that (especially in the case of their contracts), they fall well short of the mark.

So many times, I have heard childminders say that they have encountered a problem with a parent or there is a misunderstanding, invariably due to lack of clarity in the NCMA contracts. And as the NCMA membership is so expensive, why are their forms so dear to buy.

One problem I have with NCMA is that they seem to be telling childminders how to run their business when it is our business to run, not the NCMA's. It is up to me to decide on how I handle deposits, retainers, holiday pay, payment for bank holidays etc. - I have never come across an organisation before that tries to gets its members all operating their businesses on the same business model.

For example,
    • I charge for Bank Holidays and do not provide a service - if they want to use me it is double time.
    • I have notice periods to suit me - for example, if I mind siblings then I have an eight weeks notice period as opposed to the more common four weeks because if they leave me, I am losing two lots of income.
    • My deposits are based on a full months fees and are held on account until the child finishes with me (which could be some years later!) and only then is returned or offset against the final invoice - they are not used to offset against the first month's fees.
    • All my parents pay monthly in advance so for a new starter, it does mean the parents having to effectively find two months money - the deposit plus the months fees.
    • My contracts do allow me to suspend care in the case of non-payment unlike some other difficult situations I have read about on the forum - in my case if there is no money forthcoming at the beginning of the month then minding will not be available after the first day of the month until payment is made. A late-payment fee is also applied. This policy is made explicitly clear in my contracts (I have it in the contracts as opposed to a separate policy) and in all the years I have been minding, only once has one parent's payment been late!!

I do not believe that these are things the NCMA recommends but as far as I am concerned, they have stood the test of time and I have not "lost" an enquiry because of my way of operating. Childminding is an important profession and entrepreneurship and individuality should be encouraged with minders running their businesses they way the want to.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Im with MM but am using my own paperwork and have written my own contracts. Both sets of parents I have were more than happy with the contract

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, it is reassuring xx

Would anyone be kind enough to let me see a copy of their own contracts x