Advice Please - need to sort this out NOW!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice Please - need to sort this out NOW!

oh dear?? whta in the letter didn't they get

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She probably just doesn't understand that this is a problem because generally when you have an appointment to go somewhere it's polite to be early but in this case it's incredibly rude!

I think you should just not open the door for a couple of times, say you're on toilet! Or in the back, or having a nap or whatever until the message is received! Or, just politely explain why it's not acceptable to bring the child that early.

Sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

oh dear, maybe she didn't read the letter?!

Give them another copy and if she carries on tell her if she needs extra hours you can review your contract.

Good luck with this one.

Jana x

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think 5 or 10 minutes is a problem. I would be annoyed at 30min though. I have two of mine arrive at 7.50am not 8am, but i must admit that they did ask first if it was alright.

Do it the other way round and ask for the child to be collected say 30 or even 60 min early when you have an appointment. Then see if they try to dock your money and you can state that they have extra time they do not pay for so it all works out even. That should stop them.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear looks like you are going to have to be very blunt on this one!

Either tell her or pin a note on the door saying you are not available until...... whatever time the contract starts so she sees it before she rings the doorbell

Good luck I don't envy you

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this problem. Dad arrived every day 15 minutes early. I had to get my daughter to Brownies on a Friday night and asked Mum (who collected) if she could pick mindee up 15 minutes early each Friday. She said fine, but what do we do about money, just take off 1/4 hour money? Must be honest, I flipped then. I said "I don't think so, as X arrives 1/4 hour early every day" That soon shut her up.

Jules

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just hope no-one notices that I havent actually got a policy relating to this...!!!
    Go ahead and write a policy for the future (seems a good idea as then it is in plan writing) but I would think the contract is sufficient as it will clearly state the hours that you are contracted for.

I just responded to a similar question on another thread and the more I think about it, the more I'd be inclined to not answer the door and then say "oh sorry, wasn't expecting you til such and such a time so I was out in the garden" or something.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

jun 89
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I would ask them if they want to change the contract hours... usually...because they have to pay for extra time they get the hint and arrive on time...my minding friend doesnt answer the door, all i get then is parents ringing the door bell and even getting their little one to bang on the door hand or foot their not bothered ohh such joy!!!
    K

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I wrote another (more specific) letter....she showed up on time today!!! Didnt seem to be annoyed or anything...was expecting a bit of huffiness...I just hope that this doesnt mean she has taken me 100% literally and never arrives to pick her son up early from now on! That would be just my luck!!!

So thats one down...we'll see how tommorow goes with the other two!

I think that babies mum is going to be the most difficult..I always seem to be having problems with her. I'll be back to update tommorow!

Cheers for all the advice and support,

Sx

Sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

well done you!
    Good luck with the others!

Jana x

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    none yet!
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a lady do this! I just wrote them a letter stating for insurance purposes I could only have them the contracted hours. I did explain that this was my job and if they went to work and expected to start 15 or 20 mins earlier, they would want paying for it and probably wouldnt do it.

They got the hint, they did sometimes turn up 5mins early but they were early to pick them up too, so it balanced out.

tis a reet pain int jacksy tho!!

hehe! hope you get this sorted hun!! x
    Love GG x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just hope that this doesnt mean she has taken me 100% literally and never arrives to pick her son up early from now on! That would be just my luck!!!
    I think people assume they are paying for a certain number of hours and if they collect their child early, they should be able to drop them off earlier to compensate. I now spell this out very clearly during the first meeting, that payment is for contracted times, not actual hours worked. And thanks to this thread, I'm adding it to my ever growing policy list.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Wanted to say I am a bit of a reader rather than a poster on this forum - I've gained some terrific advice.

Regarding policies - I've just counted my policies and would you believe - wait for it - I have 51

Every week I am going to pop a policy into the children's bookbags so that the parents are aware and don't get bogged down by having to read every single policy at the beginning (although to cover myself I will give them the opportunity to read every one before they sign my contract).

I also leave the folder that contains the policies (and other stuff that's not confidential) in the hallway for the parents to look at if they want to.

I also have a visitor's book where I just quickly write in who has visited while the minded children are present and I also have a complaints/compliments book that anyone can write in the leave a comment. PHEW! LOL

Regarding the early arrival I just wouldn't open the door and then send a little note in the bookbags saying please don't bring the kids early as I have lots to do beforehand and that if it happens again you will add the time to the next invoice. I find detailed invoices work for me because you can add the extra without having to do it face to face.

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Parents turned up 5 mins early today, was just about ready for a change! Made me think of this thread though.

Unless this became a problem/regular then I would have to think long and hard about speaking to them about it because although they are contracted until 5.30 they always collect around 4pm.

If I split hairs over 5mins they could easily leave the kids with me until 5.30 - I like the early dart because I have clubs I have to take my kids to
    Buttons xx

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive also got on mine that late drop offs do not consitute late pick ups

I wont be opening the door till its time! I wll just keep my curtains shut!

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing i think we have to be careful of is one of the advantages we have over a nursery is that we can be flexible. I think that if for example you had someone 10 hours a day 5 days a week at £4.00 per hour i dont think in all fairness you wouldnt want to quibble about 5min early or 10 min late now and then.
    On the other hand if a parent is always 30min early then we have every right to be cross. I think each case needs to be played by ear. After all we could end up cutting off our nose to spite our face, or biting the hand that feeds us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12