Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Children's Right Policy

I went to a meeting re childrens rights earlier this week and was given a policy. I thought you might like to see it

Children’s Rights Policy

For promoting Children’s Rights, consultation, negotiation and evaluation in my setting

Statement; Within my setting, I will endeavour to make sure the children in my care and their families will all be treated equally. I will promote Children’s Rights in my setting particularly through consultation, negotiation and evaluation.

I will:
    · Actively listen in a calm, open non-threatening manner to the children and young people in my care. I will note down and use their preferences and choices. These will be re-visited as necessary or on regular occasions.
    · Understand the key role and value of parents and carers; know when to refer them to further sources of information, advice or support.
    · Be aware that some children and young people do not communicate verbally or in the same language as myself. I will need to adapt my style of communication to their needs and abilities.
    · Build open and honest relationships by respecting children, young people, parents and carers and making them feel valued as partners.
    · Inform, involve and help the child or young person to assess different courses of action in various circumstances. I will help them understand the consequences of each and, where appropriate, agree next steps.
    · Share reasons for actions with the child or young person and those caring for them.
    · Explain what has happened or will happen next and check their understanding and where appropriate, their consent to the process.
    · Be aware that the child, young person, parent or carer may not have understood what is being communicated and make steps to discover ways for promoting greater understanding.
    · Be self-aware: know how to demonstrate a commitment to treating all people fairly; be respectful by using active listening and avoiding assumptions.
    · Seek feedback and evaluation from the child or young person in my care as well as those from parents, family and carers. I will use the evaluations to influence and or change my future service.

Signed:

Date:

Also this page was included,

Evaluation with children
    To confirm your work on this subject you should have hard evidence that backs up the good work done.

A policy states what you will do as a childcare provider, but Ofsted and any other inspection bodies you will need evidence of what you have done

To go with the policy (which should be signed and dated by the way, as all policies should be with the next review date) you should have items such as:

· Service evaluation forms from those able to do them; older children and young people, parents and carers.
    · Child preferences notes or documentation of how children or young people in your care make decisions for themselves.
    · Audiotapes of children giving feedback after a trip or activity.
    · Pictures or drawing of favourite food, activities etc. or pictures of what they don’t like.
    · Children’s personal scrapbook.

These are suggestions that you may use or develop within your setting.

It would be nice to be able to show how your evaluations have affected your work with children, to be able to give and ‘audit trail’ of changes to your service development from the information given by ‘your clients’ in evaluation.

We were told to change the wording in the policy to suit our own settings.

Cherry
    Last edited by cherry; 22-05-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Cherry x

Daddy Day Care Guest

Default Re: Children's Right Policy

thank you for this Cherry

Gareth
    xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for sharing that Cherry.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing Cherry

Angel xx

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great, thanks
    Ali xx

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cherry

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is lovely. Thanks

Non childminder member
    nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a nanny doing a BA honours in early years so i am having to write my own policies for this. I am so glad I have found this forum and look forward to picking your brains for ideas to use in my own setting. Thanks Ally x.

BuggsieMoo Guest

Thank you

Jul 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing

Pipsqueak Guest

Thank you for sharing.
    I must admit though that I don't really see a specific need to do a separate policy - childrens rights are stamped through my whole policy pack.
    However, for those who are considering doing a separate policy it might be beneficial to consider doing responsibilities that go along with these rights - showing that a right is a privilage to be earned and that with rights come responsibilities - I think this is something that is often forgotten with the yoof and young of today

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing this policy Cherry.

Claire

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Thank you for sharing.
    I must admit though that I don't really see a specific need to do a separate policy - childrens rights are stamped through my whole policy pack.
    However, for those who are considering doing a separate policy it might be beneficial to consider doing responsibilities that go along with these rights - showing that a right is a privilage to be earned and that with rights come responsibilities - I think this is something that is often forgotten with the yoof and young of today
    Totally agree, rights go hand in hand with responsiblities.
    Thanks for sharing.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Thank you for sharing.
    and the parents.

Non childminder member
    nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

So helpful thank so much!! x

dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing Cherry, that's what we are learning about on my degree. its all very interesting

Jenny