Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Register

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Register

I always used to get parents to sign a register at the end of the week. Am I right in thinking because of GDPR that this can not be done anymore as you can not show parents the written names of other children? So am I right in saying that we no longer need parents to sign a register to confirm hours the child attended? All my parents are great and have never had any issues, I just want clarification (mainly for OFSTED!). Thanks.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You don't HAVE to get parents to sign a register, it comes under 'best practice' rather than a legal obligation - saves potential arguments over charges made for late/early arrival/departure times for example.
    You can still have a register, I have always done a single page per child anyway (double sided), coloured dividers with their initials marked on separating children, in an A4 ring binder - never been an issue as I'm able to offer each childs attendance record to parents individually

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I kept an electronic register and times of arrival and collection and leaving, which was never signed by parents. But required by LA - if I was audited, this would have been a document they scrutinised. Also part of safeguarding.

This then electronically generated an invoice at the end of the month which the parents accessed and paid.
    I didn’t have any issues with payment...in paying, the invoice stated, they accepted the invoice to be accurate. ( and therefore the attendance information).
    Ofsted asked me if I recorded attendance, I said yes....end of conversation, she wasn’t interested in how I did it.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Never had parents sign my register!
    I always keep my childrens register sheets on different pieces of paper though. If you ever need to submit a register because of a concern about safeguarding or attendance etc, you want to be able to take out just one child's register record. If all children are on one sheet that is not possible. GDPR gives parents the right to view the records you keep on their child so another reason to keep each child's register separate too.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jennyandchris View Post
    I always used to get parents to sign a register at the end of the week. Am I right in thinking because of GDPR that this can not be done anymore as you can not show parents the written names of other children? So am I right in saying that we no longer need parents to sign a register to confirm hours the child attended? All my parents are great and have never had any issues, I just want clarification (mainly for OFSTED!). Thanks.
    Keeping an attendance register is a regulatory requirement. Getting parents to sign appears to be optional, but useful in case of disputes or, in extremis, allegations.

Moggy's one-sheet-per-child system seems good if you really want to be uber-cautious, but it’s possibly more fiddly than I’d want to use. No offence, but I don’t see the need. Schools also have to provide evidence of attendance for numerous purposes, including social care interventions, but they don’t keep individual child registers.

In terms of the OP, I just don’t see what you think has changed because of GDPR. Why do you think it has suddenly become illegal for one parent to see another child's name? Again, using school as a benchmark, children's name appear on every newsletter I’ve ever seen and every classroom wall on parents' evenings, etc.

For GDPR, jyou should already have a line in your privacy policy stating that parents will necessarily find out information about each other and your family, and must use such information responsibly.
    Last edited by bunyip; 18-07-2018 at 01:49 PM.

7. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My parents don't sign either. Like Moggy I have individual sheets for children. This works best for me as some children attend every day others one day a week.