Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Minding a child and sibling in their home re contract/insurance

Hello all,

I've agreed to look after a current mindee and her older brother (whose contract with me ended a couple of years ago) for one day next weekend, and parent suggested this could be at their home for at least part of the day. This will simply mean additional hours for the little girl, but what paperwork would I need for her brother?
    Since the important info that I have on his original contract and parental permissions won't have changed, would it be ok to ask parents to sign a letter stating the terms of this one off 'ad hoc' arrangement ?
    Also, would I need to get hold of a 'babysitting checklist' (I'm with PACEY) so I'm covered by my insurance for both children if in their home and not mine? From the posts I've read, it looks as though I'll only be covered for the current minded child (and not her brother) WITH one of these checklists if I can find one (none in the pacey shop). Does anyone have any ideas , or experienced a similar situation?
    Thankyou, and sorry, that was about 5 questions in one!! x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

to my mind, IF you are looking after the children in their own home, then that is babysitting and is not in any way shape or form connected to your childminding them.

I would just make sure I had emergency contact details for parents/others and any other information you think you might need.

have fun x

3. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I investigated this recently and PACEY and childcare.co.uk give good guidance/forms. I think there are two ways to go either you treat it as a separate favour for a mate type thing or as a professional registered childcare provider and you adopt this where ever and how ever you look after the children.
    Having done a bit of research I am adopting the second option because I believe it keeps everyone safer with clear boundaries and agreement. Yes it takes more work and time but when you've spent time building a good reputation it only takes one small blip to loose the lot.

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies xx