Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Contract for young mum

Can anyone advise me on this.

I'm at the very early stages of an enquiry from a very young mum-to-be. Please remind me how old a person has to be before they can legally negotiate and sign a childminding contract?

If they're too young to sign, then who can sign for them? And what do CMs usually do about the payment arrangements, deposits, etc.?

Would a teen mum attract any special financial support with her childcare bills?

Is there anything in particular to look out for in this situation?

Are children's social care automatically involved? I only ask this because our county always have a "teen parent" tick-box on funding forms and EY trackers, though I realise this might just be for statistical purposes.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

All I know is that they are supposed to be 18 before they can sign any contract involving finance - have they got a parent who could sign the contract on their behalf or if she is with the child's father are they over 18? I'm sure this person will have a phone contract, so someone must have signed the contract for that.

Is the young mum going to be working or doing a college course, as she may get help with childcare if she is still in full time education? - I had a young parent (she was over 18 though) who did Access to Learning course and got childcare paid for. (As long as her attendance was more than 80%)

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if this is of any help but I had a very young mum once (15) and I dealt with her dad i.e. baby's grandad. It was very sad as she had the baby when she was 15 and her mum looked after it while she went back to school. Her mum then died so her dad was doing the childcare but he couldn't cope and contacted me. The baby's mum was then at college so I only saw 'grandad'. The college paid me although it did take some time to sort out, don't really know why except nobody really knew what they were doing. Baby's mum and grandad were still grieving and struggling to care for the baby and I nearly took on the role of a foster mum and eventually the baby was adopted. So in a nutshell it can be done and things have moved on a lot since this happened to me but probably she will need to have an adult to sign a contract, doesn't your LA have any advice? There was nothing around when I needed it as it was many moons ago!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would phone the Legal line at Pacey or Morton Michel and ask them.

Post Thanks / Like

12 years ago I took on a young mum, she had good family support who signed contract and paid deposit, I was paid by the care2learn programme and they checked regularly her school attendance and Childs attendance.

I was very careful that she was included in all decisions and had a voice which could easily be over ridden if you've got a very enthusiastic granny/relative involved.

It worked really well saw her through finishing school, going to college and although we did have a little break she returned with 3 children in total and this year will complete her 3 year degree.
    I am so in awe of what she has achieved, she is a remarkable young mum it's been amazing to watch her grow!!! And her little ones too!!

6. Likes loocyloo, bunyip, hectors house liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    12 years ago I took on a young mum, she had good family support who signed contract and paid deposit, I was paid by the care2learn programme and they checked regularly her school attendance and Childs attendance.

I was very careful that she was included in all decisions and had a voice which could easily be over ridden if you've got a very enthusiastic granny/relative involved.

It worked really well saw her through finishing school, going to college and although we did have a little break she returned with 3 children in total and this year will complete her 3 year degree.
    I am so in awe of what she has achieved, she is a remarkable young mum it's been amazing to watch her grow!!! And her little ones too!!
    Don't underestimate the support that you gave her. Well done. She obviously regards you highly to keep returning. It's moments like this that make the job so rewarding.

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BallyH it certainly is xxx