taxi for regular outings?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Hollyhock Guest

Default taxi for regular outings?

Hi,

I am just writing my contract and my permissions and wondered if it would be conceivable to take my mindees (I can have 4 max.) on a weekly outing in a taxi? Would it be enough to write a permission for the parents to sign? What about insurance ( I am insured as a Childcare.co.uk Gold member)?
    Thank you so much for any help!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is the government guidelines:

Think! Education - Early years and Primary - Parents - 3-5s - Child car seats and safety belts

I think if you are doing a regular planned activity then part of the planning would be to provide a suitable child restraint for
    the journey.

If it is an unforseeable journey then using an adults would be allowed legally.

However you have to think why children need to be in a correct child restraint- for their own safety, adult belts do not do the same job safely for a small child.

I personally wouldn't.

Hollyhock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    This is the government guidelines:

Think! Education - Early years and Primary - Parents - 3-5s - Child car seats and safety belts

I think if you are doing a regular planned activity then part of the planning would be to provide a suitable child restraint for
    the journey.

If it is an unforseeable journey then using an adults would be allowed legally.

However you have to think why children need to be in a correct child restraint- for their own safety, adult belts do not do the same job safely for a small child.

I personally wouldn't.
    Thank you, FloraDora - that is super helpful. I was thinking of a regular outing, every Friday - it's a short journey but I haven't got a car myself and the taxi option would seem so much more straightforward than the bus. So if I get child restraints to bring along, that should be alright I suppose?

Hollyhock Guest

Default taxi for an outing?

Hi again,

now it's no longer just theory: this Friday I'd like to take one child out to a session with other women and children, and since I don't have a car, I'd like to take a taxi. I normally get a lift from a friend, but she is not a registered childminder so I suppose it is out of the question when I have a child with me. The girls is 4 years old - does anyone know if it would be legally in order for me to take her on a short taxi journey? If I have the parent's permission and a restrainer?

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Why can't you take her in a friends car? I do and have written permission to use public transport and friends cars.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Hollyhock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Why can't you take her in a friends car? I do and have written permission to use public transport and friends cars.
    Really? That'd be great of course! That's just what I was wondering. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

When I asked about taking children in friends cars some years ago it was explained to me that they would need to be insured to carry minded children. I was told that if they were not and the worse happened child's parents could sue you for damages to child even if they didn't necessarily want to they may be forced to if child needed a lot of long term care etc. You would then be in a position of pay up or sue driver. I have never wanted to put my friends in this position so have always used public transport, taxi, bus or train.
    I don't drive but my hubby does and we have very specific wording on insurance and pay extra to cover him driving minded children with me in car plus parent permission.
    Things may well have changed but worth checking thoroughly with friends insurance company just in case xx

Hollyhock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    When I asked about taking children in friends cars some years ago it was explained to me that they would need to be insured to carry minded children. I was told that if they were not and the worse happened child's parents could sue you for damages to child even if they didn't necessarily want to they may be forced to if child needed a lot of long term care etc. You would then be in a position of pay up or sue driver. I have never wanted to put my friends in this position so have always used public transport, taxi, bus or train.
    I don't drive but my hubby does and we have very specific wording on insurance and pay extra to cover him driving minded children with me in car plus parent permission.
    Things may well have changed but worth checking thoroughly with friends insurance company just in case xx
    Hmm I see. So it's not that easy after all - unfortunately, public transport is ridiculously complicated and would take four or five times longer. As for taxi, wouldn't that pose a similar insurance problem?
    Thank you!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyhock View Post
    Hmm I see. So it's not that easy after all - unfortunately, public transport is ridiculously complicated and would take four or five times longer. As for taxi, wouldn't that pose a similar insurance problem?
    Thank you!
    The taxi would have to have business insurance to cover them for transporting paying customers, so you (and child) would be covered - could you borrow a booster seat from your friend to use in the taxi and then store it back in her car until it's time for you to go home again in another taxi? Or is the outing to a toddler group where you could take the booster seat in with you?

Hollyhock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    The taxi would have to have business insurance to cover them for transporting paying customers, so you (and child) would be covered - could you borrow a booster seat from your friend to use in the taxi and then store it back in her car until it's time for you to go home again in another taxi? Or is the outing to a toddler group where you could take the booster seat in with you?
    I could surely take the booster seat to the gathering with me, if I can find one to borrow that is...!
    Thank you very much. So all I need is a written permission from the parents to take the girl along by taxi, right?