Daily diaries...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Daily diaries...

Hi you wonderful lot! Just wondering which format or product you use for daily diaries and would recommend? I've used loads over the years and just wondering which one/s are liked and why. Thanking you all x

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, the quickest route to scribbling down the required info. Plus a lot of verbal exchanges with the parent seems to work wonders accompanied by a big smile.

3. Likes mookie liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use an A5 folder that I put a sheet of paper in each day, listing meals eaten and sleeps/nappies if relevant. I do them for all children until they start in reception.
    I've always kept diaries for children, even when I was a nanny, so it's habit now.
    I quickly scribble down what we've done in the morning at lunchtime, and then again at teatime.
    Parents like them, there is room for them to comment and easy to put photos or little bits of art work in, plus, if folder is forgotten, I can still fill out a sheet and send it home!
    Still lots of verbal handover plus texting/email but some of my children are collected by grandparents so it means messages and info about day still get to parents!

5. Likes mookie liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I use A5 notebooks, I write in what LO has had to eat, how much sleep and how many nappy changes plus whatever we've done that day.

Some parents want the diaries and some don't. I have a new family who asked if they could have a whatsapp group chat instead, a sure sign of the times!

7. Likes mookie, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use A5 notebooks too. Parents have always loved them.

9. Likes mookie, Dragonfly liked this post
    jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Very helpful. Like the folder idea! I found doing all a4 was sometimes too big for quiet days etc. Will look into a5!
    Knew you'd help! Xx

Post Thanks / Like

I produced my own my day sheets, got caught out not putting down every nappy change on a particularly busy day, so legal advice was to include footnote that if the children need me they may not be a complete record of the whole day.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I use butterfly print diaries but am slowly swapping over to watsapp. Just a message with what we did this morning then one for lunch tea nappies etc. Quick done send and over with

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    I produced my own my day sheets, got caught out not putting down every nappy change on a particularly busy day, so legal advice was to include footnote that if the children need me they may not be a complete record of the whole day.
    I like that! Hmmm just finding space to put it or maybe I'll put it on the front cover, where I also have a note asking parents to bring folder each day, add comments etc.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mookie View Post
    Thanks guys! Very helpful. Like the folder idea! I found doing all a4 was sometimes too big for quiet days etc. Will look into a5!
    Knew you'd help! Xx
    I buy a5 ring binder folders from rymans :-)

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use an online programme - parents access it anywhere by different means, on their phone, iPad computer etc..
    They contribute too and I can add photos amongst lots of other stuff.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I use an online programme - parents access it anywhere by different means, on their phone, iPad computer etc..
    They contribute too and I can add photos amongst lots of other stuff.
    Which one do you use FD?

At the moment I type up an A5 page, print it out and stick it into an A5 notebook. I did used to hand write it, but worried about the book getting lost (plus it's not as easy to amend mistakes if they're handwritten!). Now that I type it up I have a copy on my computer, so should the book get lost I have a copy. If all I wrote about were nappy changes and sleeps I wouldn't worry about it getting lost, but as I use my diaries as a combined LJ/daily diary, I need to know it's safe.

I'm now wondering about just sharing it all online to save time printing it out.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Which one do you use FD?

I'm now wondering about just sharing it all online to save time printing it out.
    ********* - it probably won't allow the name - two syllables, first - youngest type of person, second - 'days'.

18. Likes Mouse liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use BD too although 1 parent wasn't accessing it so I am still using an old exercise book for that family for diaries but everything else is on BD. Well worth the money in my opinion if you want to go paperless - accounts, registers, medical forms, accident forms, diaries, learning journeys, photo galleries, policies, contracts etc- everything is there. You can change your home page so when they login you can put newsletter type notes there so they definitely see it (like holiday dates). You can monitor when parents login. They can comment and put photos and obs in themselves - definitely a fantastic way of working together.

But if you're happy with everything being on paper and in folders etc I would just use a basic exercise book. I have a "key" to make it really quick. So f-food; s-sleep; o-out etc and just write basic 1 words and tick food eaten cross food not eaten, put d for dirty or w for wet nappy etc- very quick and very simple.

20. Likes FloraDora liked this post