Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Attendance Forms

Hi

In the past I have just noted on my form the time a child arrives and leaves etc Never got parents to sign as children picked up and dropped off from various places.

Anyway I'm thinking of now getting parents to sign as a back up for me. What do you do about children who attend nursery / school. Do you get teachers to sign to say child dropped off / collected or just get parents to sign on drop off and collection?

Not sure what to do?

Thanks
    x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean your register? You need an accurate record of when children enter and leave your care.
    I do not get parent signatures, and I would not ask playgroup etc as it would mean having to carry around my register, and for what? A scribble from a member of nursery staff doesn't mean anything- I am interest in what you mean as a 'back up for you'?

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Do you mean your register? You need an accurate record of when children enter and leave your care.
    I do not get parent signatures, and I would not ask playgroup etc as it would mean having to carry around my register, and for what? A scribble from a member of nursery staff doesn't mean anything- I am interest in what you mean as a 'back up for you'?
    Hi that's fine I currently have my attendance chart in place where I note to the exact minute what time a child arrives and leaves including dropping off at nursery etc but never got signatures. Ive heard some childminders say that in the past parents have queried invoices saying a child didn't attend etc and they falsified records so thought a signature would be a 'back up' proof that a child attended should I ever get in that situation but will just continue as I am. Thank you x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by It's a small world View Post
    Hi that's fine I currently have my attendance chart in place where I note to the exact minute what time a child arrives and leaves including dropping off at nursery etc but never got signatures. Ive heard some childminders say that in the past parents have queried invoices saying a child didn't attend etc and they falsified records so thought a signature would be a 'back up' proof that a child attended should I ever get in that situation but will just continue as I am. Thank you x
    If your parents pay for contracted hours then it is clear what they need to pay anyway. If they are paying in arrears for variable hours you need to be more careful.
    I did get parent signatures when I started out because it said so in Pacey register (!) but soon stopped as it was a bother for the parents and I'd forget and in the end I could not see the point. I am paid in advance of care, so even if a parent questioned an invoice it would be nothing to do with the register because I invoice for the following month's contracted hours and need payment before the 1st day of care each month. The register only shows what has happened in the past and that is already paid for!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed that the afterschool clubs get teachers to sign their register as they drop off the children at school. Sometimes they've only got 1-2 children. I suppose it covers them if the child was to go missing. It's always something I've wondered about.

I always stand and watch my mindees go in and then I wait a few minutes but I've always wondered if I was to drop a child at school and head off home, the child was to come back out of the classroom and out the gates. Who would be at fault?
    The afterschool clubs have themselves covered as the teacher has signed that the child is there...I haven't.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I've noticed that the afterschool clubs get teachers to sign their register as they drop off the children at school. Sometimes they've only got 1-2 children. I suppose it covers them if the child was to go missing. It's always something I've wondered about.

I always stand and watch my mindees go in and then I wait a few minutes but I've always wondered if I was to drop a child at school and head off home, the child was to come back out of the classroom and out the gates. Who would be at fault?
    The afterschool clubs have themselves covered as the teacher has signed that the child is there...I haven't.
    Thanks everyone. Will stick to what I already do as it's easy..Yes contracted hours x

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Another possible problem with attendance registers is where parents both collect and pick up, and then their relationship goes a bit sour. They might pull you into arguments/discussions about who picks up more than others, what's days etc, even dad thinking mum had picked up when Aunty does instead as mum is elsewhere etc, for example.

My memory us very bad, and I could not tell you what I had for breakfast on Monday, let alone which children attended a month ago.

My registers are very accurate, ( all the children are in one page), and I make a note of the times, plus also who picks up or drops, ( ie D for Dad, M for Mum) and where I drop off ( s for school) and also if I have collected from their home ( H for home). I also keep my register accurate throughout the day.

I also make a note if my husband at work, day off, etc, plus if my own children are off school.

It all sounds really complicated but really isn't. !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by It's a small world View Post
    Hi In the past I have just noted on my form the time a child arrives and leaves etc Never got parents to sign as children picked up and dropped off from various places. Anyway I'm thinking of now getting parents to sign as a back up for me. What do you do about children who attend nursery / school. Do you get teachers to sign to say child dropped off / collected or just get parents to sign on drop off and collection? Not sure what to do? Thanks x
    I get parents to sign as otherwise I could write any times, I think it's a bit pointless personally unless parents countersign...but it's not a requirement as far as I understand.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I get parents to sign as otherwise I could write any times, I think it's a bit pointless personally unless parents countersign...but it's not a requirement as far as I understand.
    Do the parents actually read and check every time written? Mine just signed as they trust what I wrote, didn't even glance at the sheet- hence not much point getting it signed!

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping your attendance log for the times the children are actually with you is very important. It is a legal document and can be used in court as proof. I have had this twice for CP purposes, to prove children were/were not with me at certain times and also a court case between grandparents and a person living in the nursing home they ran who claimed she had caught an illness from their grandchild. I had the proof that said grandchild was with me, attended regularly for several weeks and so was not sick. Also provided my sickness policy. Was called to give evidence but said person retracted once they new about said evidence so I didn't have to attend court. Phew!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    I have had this twice for CP purposes, to prove children were/were not with me at certain times and also a court case between grandparents and a person living in the nursing home they ran who claimed she had caught an illness from their grandchild. I had the proof that said grandchild was with me, attended regularly for several weeks and so was not sick. Also provided my sickness policy. Was called to give evidence but said person retracted once they new about said evidence so I didn't have to attend court. Phew!
    Thanks for telling us about this, it's always great to hear real life examples for some of the things what we do.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always kept an attendance register with exact time each child arrives at my setting and leaves i.e. 7.45am even though contracted hours are maybe 8am and again at pick-up. It's something I've done for the past 13 years. I get parents to sign at the end of the week and some have even prompted me if I forget on the odd occasion when two or three parents are collecting on different days and the children are acting up (as they do)!

Also I've recently heard that it's good practice to keep times because of the Prevent duty stuff which has come in i.e. to keep an eye on the times when children are in your care and not being drawn into radicalisation etc. as childminders are inspected the same as nurseries, schools, colleges etc.

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    Keeping your attendance log for the times the children are actually with you is very important. It is a legal document and can be used in court as proof. I have had this twice for CP purposes, to prove children were/were not with me at certain times and also a court case between grandparents and a person living in the nursing home they ran who claimed she had caught an illness from their grandchild. I had the proof that said grandchild was with me, attended regularly for several weeks and so was not sick. Also provided my sickness policy. Was called to give evidence but said person retracted once they new about said evidence so I didn't have to attend court. Phew!
    Hi I have attendance log and have since I started childminding. It's more about whether I should get parent to sign.? Thanks fir sharing everyone x

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you get parents to sign at each collection / drop off or just at the end of the week? X

Post Thanks / Like

Usually end of week but if it's CP work then every time and any changes ie social worker/nursery/school etc just as extra cover.

Dec 201
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Attendance register

Do you think rounding times up and down is acceptable e.g if a child arrives at 9.01 putting 9.00 or 9.08 putting 9.10? this would make it easier adding up times at the end of the week