Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Contract query

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Contract query

This is a new one on me, so I'd appreciate advice especially if anyone has any similar experience.

I've received a message from a grandma requesting childcare. She didn't give a lot of information and I've not been able to contact her to ask as yet.

I gather the mum is trying to get back into work and wants grandma to provide care, but grandma wants some sort of time for herself, hence the request for some part-time CMing. I can't be sure, but I think the mum could be quite young.

I realise everything will require the parents' consent, and all the usual information, etc. but............

Is it permissible to arrange a contract with a grandparent?

If it happens to be a 'teen mum', what additional paperwork and considerations are required above the usual?

For the life of me, I'm not even sure how old a parent has to be to sign a contract.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would depend who has PR for the child.

I had one grandma bring her grandson to me so she could have a break, but she had a court order giving her PR and the little boy lived with her )i can't remember the name of the order). I didn't ever meet the mum, although I did meet the dad a couple of times. Everything was done through the grandma and she was responsible for all fees.

I now have a little girl who comes to me to give granny a break. It's a similar situation in that she looks after the lo while mum is at work, but wants a day free each week. My contract is with mum, although I never see her as granny drops off and collects. Mum did come for an initial meeting, along with granny, but that's about the only time I see her. The difference to your situation is that mum pays the fees. Granny is named as a person who has regular contact with the child, as the person who drops off and collects and as the first emergency contact.

If your mum is young there may be some sort of court order giving the grandma some legal responsibility, although if she is looking to get back into work I can't imagine she'd be that young. I've got a feeling a parent needs to be 18 to sign a contract, but I'm not absolutely certain. If grandma is going to be responsible for paying fees, I wonder if you could draw up a joint contract with her and mum? I really don't have a clue so it would be interesting to find out.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

a under 18 cannot be held responsible for most types of debt and so it's best to get their parent to sign as guarantor.

This might help
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...nsumer-rights/

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need a bit more information about the situation before you can decide what you need to do but I am in agreement with Mouse about getting both to sign a contract (assuming mother is old enough to do so).

might also be worth contacting your insurance company to see what they advise.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information and advice.

I'm still waiting to hear any more as granny seems very difficult to contact. She wouldn't be the first person who'd been in touch once and then never answered again.

I'll call pacey if she returns my message. I did manage to speak to another local CM who'd been approached by a 17yo mum once. She asked the pacey legal team about it and got the distinct impression they didn't like the idea. She'd been advised to get an over-18 guarantor, but she'd need a private solicitor to word the contract (the pacey team weren't offering to do it) - also that she should never let it get into arrears as it would be very difficult/costly to pursue.